Worn rudder post tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julia

Dec 19, 2007
- - Southhampton. UK
The rudder post tube on the Catalina 30 I have just bought is quite badly worn. I am planning to feed some silicon shims into it until I haul the boat. Has anyone done something sinilar in the water? I have tiller steering. I look forward to hearing from you.

J

John

Info please

Hello. I too have a Catalina 30, 1977 hull # 593. How do you know when the tube is worn? I have seen others talk about it but no real description of the symptom. What year build do you have? Anyway, either Stu Jackson that monitors this site will tell you and/or you can go to the archive on this site and Im sure you will find loads of info. Good luck John

Julia

Dec 19, 2007
- - Southhampton. UK
Hi John I have a tiller so it is easy for me to wriggle it around using that for leverage and feel the play between the post and the tube. Also there is a vibration when underway. There is a 'final' solution!!! LOL! So write back if you decide that you do indeed have wear in the tube. I want to do a 'quick fix' to last until I come out of the water. I need to get some time underway to find out if I have other problems that'll need fixing at the same time. My hull number is 290 so the boat is probably 1976. All the best, Julia. PS In case you are interested the core of my port fore deck has rotted and i am in the process of fixing that.

J

John

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I too have a tiller but so far it seems to be ok. The previous owner had replaced the rudder and it all works good at this time. Good luck with yours. John

J

John

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I too have a tiller but so far it seems to be ok. The previous owner had replaced the rudder and it all works good at this time. Good luck with yours. John

A

AXEL

Core & rudder post repair

Julia, John, I have a 1977 C30 hull #640. The rudder post on my boat had some play and I called Catalina about it. They told me about the easy fix and the more compliacated fix. In my case the easy fix worked out. I made up some shims using the clear transparent sheets you would use in a copy machine to make transparent copies for use with overhead projector. Slip a couple of them down the shaft, use some Superlube, and problem solved. It's been about 7 years since the easy fix and no problems. Julia, I have some spongy core over the forward deck. I'd be interested in hearing about your fix.

A

AXEL

Core & rudder post repair

Julia, John, I have a 1977 C30 hull #640. The rudder post on my boat had some play and I called Catalina about it. They told me about the easy fix and the more compliacated fix. In my case the easy fix worked out. I made up some shims using the clear transparent sheets you would use in a copy machine to make transparent copies for use with overhead projector. Slip a couple of them down the shaft, use some Superlube, and problem solved. It's been about 7 years since the easy fix and no problems. Julia, I have some spongy core over the forward deck. I'd be interested in hearing about your fix.

J

jurojo2006@yahoo.co.uk

Spongy foredeck

Hi there, First I dried the rotten balsa core by cutting a hole about 1.5" and suspened a hairdryer above it. I picked hot sunny weather and had the drier on low heat, high fan. I picked a spot that would later be covered by a deck fitting. Next i managed to vacume out some of the loose balsa. I bought 60ml syringes, meant for large animals, minus the needles and a medicine dropper for the hardner. Because of the climate, I am in Guatemala, I chose to use Polyester resin but you will probably get a stronger result with epoxy resin. I used codicil as a filler because that was what was available but my choice would probably have been micro balloons. Don't forget to have plenty of gloves etc. You will need to experiment as to how much filler you can use and still squeeze it out of the syringe and also what size drill bit you need for the holes to inject through. I started from the edge of the deck so that the resin would back up from there. I found that it was necessary to let one lot start to go off before injecting the next lot otherwise it started pushing out of the earlier holes. I am at the cosmetic stage and will hollow out the injection holes a little and fill with white resin paste of some sort. I think the reult is about 90/95% good. I am thinking about trying to squeeze a little more in, perhaps just the resin with no filler.

J

jurojo2006@yahoo.co.uk

Spongy foredeck

Hi there, First I dried the rotten balsa core by cutting a hole about 1.5" and suspened a hairdryer above it. I picked hot sunny weather and had the drier on low heat, high fan. I picked a spot that would later be covered by a deck fitting. Next i managed to vacume out some of the loose balsa. I bought 60ml syringes, meant for large animals, minus the needles and a medicine dropper for the hardner. Because of the climate, I am in Guatemala, I chose to use Polyester resin but you will probably get a stronger result with epoxy resin. I used codicil as a filler because that was what was available but my choice would probably have been micro balloons. Don't forget to have plenty of gloves etc. You will need to experiment as to how much filler you can use and still squeeze it out of the syringe and also what size drill bit you need for the holes to inject through. I started from the edge of the deck so that the resin would back up from there. I found that it was necessary to let one lot start to go off before injecting the next lot otherwise it started pushing out of the earlier holes. I am at the cosmetic stage and will hollow out the injection holes a little and fill with white resin paste of some sort. I think the reult is about 90/95% good. I am thinking about trying to squeeze a little more in, perhaps just the resin with no filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.