Woodworking from another era.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
So the planes in that era were also produced by hand, one at a time ? Factory or by the carpenter for his task ? I assume both ?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Here is small plane I also uncovered yesterday. BIC Pen in photo for scale.
20200601_084116_HDR.jpg20200601_084418_HDR.jpg

This one has a protective finish.

The large ones need some.help. I will have to investigate if they xan be soaked in something to moisturise them again and then keep them oiled. (Which i assume was how they were finished originally)

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Rant mode on
That is something that has always annoyed me. IMO residential plumbing is a 6 month class at best. How hard is it to understand water/poo goes downhill and pipes cant leak...
My brother was a plumber in the Air Force and for a while after he left the servcie. He always told me that there are only three things you need to know to be a plumber.
1. $h!t don't flow up hill.
2. Payday is on Friday.
3. Never bite your fingernails!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
My brother was a plumber in the Air Force and for a while after he left the servcie. He always told me that there are only three things you need to know to be a plumber.
1. $h!t don't flow up hill.
2. Payday is on Friday.
3. Never bite your fingernails!
.... and Garbage men make decent money with no training... still don't want that job but I'm glad someone does.

I feel the same way about doctors. People complain about how much they make but damn they work long hours... and in today's situation.... well... I'm sure glad we have them, don't want to be them.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Some of those old molding planes are quite valuable not only to craftspersons, but as collectibles.
There are complete commercially produced sets with English hallmarks on the plane bodies, and there are sets that were handmade by their original owners, all with male and female blade forms.
Once in awhile I have come across what once were complete sets in antique shops that have been broken up and sold as individual pieces, probably to people who had no clue as to their actual purpose.
Even though I am just a hobbyist woodworker, I would love to find a complete set someday...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Not sure if that is bone, horn or what. It has been covered in grime for ages, and appears to have been stained by it.

Part of me wants to use it, in place of my 15 year old marlinspike, but i likely wont.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
If that has an ivory handle, leave it home when traveling to Africa. A musician friend was telling me about orchestra musicians who have their 100+ year old instruments confiscated because of the ivory on them.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
You sure that is not a marlin spike? Great find!:beer:
That is exactly what it is. That is why i figured it was very appropriate IMO :biggrin:

No idea what it is clad with. Lanyard loop appears to be brass

Wonder why it was there.. Maybe grandad or grandad was a pirate who actually attacked furniture ships for their cargo, and the whole cabinetmaker story was a cover. Hehe
Could have been my dad's ?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Back at the house again and took closeups of the carving on the cabinet.

I have some ability but man, that is not something i could see myself being able to do. Even with experience.
The wood skill is one thing. Making art is another.

20200601_152936_HDR.jpg20200601_152942_HDR.jpg20200601_153012_HDR.jpg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Found some other cool things. A piece of shrapnel that was taken from my dad well before i was born. and some norse logo pin thing with a large bird of prey. (If you know what i mean)

Looks like i may have also found some chisels at the bottom of wood crate. One is sticking out at the bottom. Hopefully get time to look in those boxes over the next few days.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That is exactly what it is. That is why i figured it was very appropriate IMO :biggrin:

No idea what it is clad with. Lanyard loop appears to be brass

Wonder why it was there.. Maybe grandad or grandad was a pirate who actually attacked furniture ships for their cargo, and the whole cabinetmaker story was a cover. Hehe
Could have been my dad's ?
Someone needed to know how to turn those peg legs!