Wooden

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
How are those bronze cleats finished so they bolt to the deck ?
A common exercise in machinist training used to be to make a cube (with fairly tight tolerances) by hand, using only files. And that's with steel! So you could definitely get quite a good flat, true surface on a bronze cast cleat, that way.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
So you could definitely get quite a good flat, true surface on a bronze cast cleat, that way.
Yup. Doable with a file, a straight edge, and a gauge. Do they still do that project with new machinists ?

I am actually curious how the studs that go through the deck would work.
Based on the small photo, what is there appears to be hexagonal ?
I am guessing that that is simply the passage for the molten bronze.
Is that cut off, the bottom flatted, and holes drilled/tapped for studs ?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
. ...Based on the small photo, what is there appears to be hexagonal ?
I am guessing that that is simply the passage for the molten bronze...
I think that's correct. They are the sprues. Hexagonal because that is what the wax or whatever pattern was. Beefy for good dense casting and to limit shrinking while cooling. It's likely they can be re-used in the next casting.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
I had a machinist working for me who trained in the early 2000s who did that exercise, so they were still doing it at least that recently.
Around 2000 i was inquiring about machinist/gunsmith schooling, I believe it was Browning that not only had you make a 1" cube, but layout and checker each side so that they all lined up. All was to be done by hand with files.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
. Do they still do that project with new machinists?

I vaguely recall doing a 1-2-3 block as a machine shop assignment, but that was probably 60 years ago. I had it for years, and used it as a set up tool, but it disappeared somewhere along the line.
When I was in junior high school there was a machine shop in the school building. and I remember having a wood shop class, a printing (as in type setting) class, a drafting class, and even a cooking class as early as grade 7. By the time my kids were old enough to go there, that was all gone. It seems that there was a stigma attached to the idea of providing access to hands on skilled trades education.
Those classes helped me at an early age decide that I wanted to go to engineering school.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Does anybody know what the thinking was behind getting rid of trades-type training in the public schools?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Does anybody know what the thinking was behind getting rid of trades-type training in the public schools?
They still do it here in Canada.

When I was in high school in the early 80s they added electronics to the existing training for metal shops, wood shops, and automotive. Students would attend shop classes in another neighbouring school if their own didn't have what they wanted. (My school had electronics and automotive the neighbouring highschool had the metal and woodworking)

That said, at least locally, they now have specific high schools that focus on trades training of all sorts.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I believe it was an unintended consequence of the "No Child Left Behind" policies enacted in the early 2000's. High school accreditation and funding was tied to standardized test scores and outcomes that were all based on a pre-college curriculum. Resources were shifted to the pre-college curriculum and whenever money got tight, the last thing that would get a budget cut would be the pre-college courses. So little by little the trade curriculum eroded.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
I believe it was an unintended consequence of the "No Child Left Behind" policies enacted in the early 2000's.
I don't think so. We never had that policy here in Canada, and yet the same thing happened. Also, it was mostly already done by 2000, here. I think it's part of a much broader phenomenon.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
So little by little the trade curriculum eroded
And yet if you want a decent job it is trades and IT that seem to be the thing. A bachelor's in business admin etc. is almost useless due to the number of graduates. Better to spend that tuition starting your own business IMO.
I don't think so. We never had that policy here in Canada, and yet the same thing happened. Also, it was mostly already done by 2000, here. I think it's part of a much broader phenomenon.
Must be provincial differences. Some provinces still do it. Here the trades are increasingly in specific highschools that focus on pre-trade training as opposed to every school trying to fund the costs
Books are cheap compared to equipping a machine shop classroom

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Books are cheap compared to equipping a machine shop classroom
Good point. I'm sure that factored into the decline in trades training in the public schools.

Must be provincial differences. Some provinces still do it. Here the trades are increasingly in specific highschools that focus on pre-trade training as opposed to every school trying to fund the costs
The second part (trades training increasing) undermines the first part, though. If they're increasing, then they must have first declined unless, in your province, they were always low. I expect it's increasing in the provinces I've lived in, too--at the moment. But, in the era of decline that I was talking about (70s, 80s, and 90s), I lived in six different provinces (Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia) and I saw the decline in all of them.