Wooden Spreaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul B.

I've heard that the original spreaders on the Catalina 30 (mine is a 1982) can dry rot and break. Is this a hard job to replace them and will the 4 schrouds support the mast when replacement is being done? Is this an expensive job to hire out if I choose not to tackle it myself?

G

If your wooden spreaders are to far gone (check tops and ends - if ok either varnish or paint - more on top) you can either make new wooden ones or purchase aluminum replacement from Catalina or JSI. If you are going to replace with aluminum I would highly recommend the ones from JSI since the ones they make are fitted to your spreader brackets and therefore you do not have to replace your mast compression tube. They will cost you about $300 (about $100 higher than Catalina )but its an easy retrofit. Yes, you do need to unstep the mast.

B

Bob Camarena

May not need to Unstep Mast

Assuming that the JSI spreaders are a simple bolt on replacement fitting the existing brackets, I see no need to unstep the mast. I removed my wooden spreaders, replaced them with temporary spreaders fashioned out of fir, painted them and replaced them, all without unstepping the mast, Other C-30 owners I know have done the same. Then again, maybe I was lucky. Maybe others will confirm or contradict.

T

Todd Osborne

Don't need to unstep

I replaced my wooden spreaders on my 1981 C30 a few months ago. I have a close friend who is a rigger. He said that the four lower shrouds will (and did) hold the mast up fine. Just make shure to leave the outer brackets that connect to the lower shrouds in tact when you loosen the upper shrouds (simultaneously) & remove the spreaders. I took mine to a local (Seattle) Mfgr. called Spar Tek. they made beautiful custom Aluminium spreaders that fit in the same brackets for about $325. Spreaders usually fail at the worst possible time (heavy wind) and are a serious safety concern (IMHO). I'd get them replaced. It's easy to do yourself as long as you have trusty folks hauling you up the mast!

Status
Not open for further replies.