Wooden boats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
One of the bigger power boats in our marina has a beautifully crafted wooden dinghy. I've contemplated building a similar small wooden sailing dinghy myself. Do you suppose there is sufficient interest on this forum for a room dedicated to building wooden boats (or is there one already)? Alternatively, can anyone recommend any good websites on the topic (or know of any quality kits/plans)?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Phil,
Check out Arch Davis for wonderful wooden boat plans. I built the sand dollar and used the lugsail rig. Very nice little boat. You can use alternate rigs like a marconi or a sprit rig. The plans are full scale printed on mylar and I think he now has videos and kits. I've been sailing the boat for about 10 years. Very strong solid boat.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I have been a member of wooden boat longer than I have been on this forum. They cover wooden boats from stitch and glue to restoration of hulks.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I've always toyed with the idea of building one but just can't get over the feeling that it is another project that isn't essential. They look great and seem to be well worthwhile ... I have a problem with starting projects that get 80% done and then starting new projects. Finishing is the hard part!

Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
The admiral would agree with you 100% Scott. I wonder if there are more of us dream/plan/start folks, or if there's a good complementary number of see it through to the finish people too. Somehow, for me anyway, enough things see it through far enough toward completion that the house stands, the boat floats and appropriate finger remains girded in gold. Ironically, we are now in the stage of deciding whether to put up a substantial budget for boat upgrades or consider consolidating, selling and looking for our next last boat.

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
Here is one of those "projects" that found its way into my hands and garden. The original builder started this one when he was in high school...he's retired now and was downsizing from his home of 35 years, to a condo and needed to get rid of some "stuff". I had to promise that someday I'd finish it. Well, it's finished.

Attachments

Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
Alex - the link didn't work, but I copy/pasted the URL and that worked. Looks like a good site.

Danny - I hope any project I start doesn't end up half finished on someone's wall. Must be a good story how you came to finish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.