Wooden block under mast step.

Mark W

Aug 28, 2023
Catalina 22 Warren
I recently purchased a catalina 22. The hull and deck are in great shape, but a previous owner installed a wooden block under the mast step. Any thoughts on the safety of allowing that to remain that way? Thanks much. - Mark

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Is it there to compensate for some sagging of the cabin top or compression post? Otherwise I would expect that to leave the shrouds too short.

Mark W

Aug 28, 2023
Catalina 22 Warren
Is it there to compensate for some sanding of the cabin top or compression post? Otherwise I would expect that to leave the shrouds too short.
This block is around 2 inches thick. The compression post is solid and on first inspection I didn't see anything wrong with the cabin top. I will check to see if the shrouds are short when I get off work. I was wondering if they installed it to get a bit more clearance under the boom.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
My guess is that the base of your mast might have been disrupted / damaged-- not uncommon to have to cut off the bottom two inches in an "accident" scenario. This would have allowed for the standing rigging to be re-used without modification.

From the description on the CD website for their mast step shim kit:

This high density UV resistant plastic shim was used in cases where, upon having accidentally dropped the mast, the bolt holes in the base of the mast have been torn out of the mast. Trim the bottom of the mast by 1" and shim the mast step with this shim kit. Fits all generations of Catalina 22.

Mark W

Aug 28, 2023
Catalina 22 Warren
My guess is that the base of your mast might have been disrupted / damaged-- not uncommon to have to cut off the bottom two inches in an "accident" scenario. This would have allowed for the standing rigging to be re-used without modification.

From the description on the CD website for their mast step shim kit:

This high density UV resistant plastic shim was used in cases where, upon having accidentally dropped the mast, the bolt holes in the base of the mast have been torn out of the mast. Trim the bottom of the mast by 1" and shim the mast step with this shim kit. Fits all generations of Catalina 22.
Thank you so much for the information. That helps as I ponder the situation for sure.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Measure your lower shrouds length and compare to lengths listed for replacements by catalina direct or int the manual. If normal length the mast has been shortened and explains the block.

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
Its possible that they replaced the mast with a new design mast which is a little shorter to compensate for the increased height of the deck for more interior headroom. If that's the case the existing shrouds would still work by adding the block underneath. That would be my assumption. I only know this because I accidentally bought a new design cat 22 mast for my old 82 and thought about how I could use it. Ultimately I sold the 82 and just bought a new design boat and used the mast on it. lol, not recommended.

Mark W

Aug 28, 2023
Catalina 22 Warren
Its possible that they replaced the mast with a new design mast which is a little shorter to compensate for the increased height of the deck for more interior headroom. If that's the case the existing shrouds would still work by adding the block underneath. That would be my assumption. I only know this because I accidentally bought a new design cat 22 mast for my old 82 and thought about how I could use it. Ultimately I sold the 82 and just bought a new design boat and used the mast on it. lol, not recommended.
Nice solution heheh!

Mark W

Aug 28, 2023
Catalina 22 Warren
Well, the mast stepped fine. The shrouds are long enough. I will insert pins to be sure the turnbuckles stay put (just in case)

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I recently purchased a catalina 22. The hull and deck are in great shape, but a previous owner installed a wooden block under the mast step. Any thoughts on the safety of allowing that to remain that way? Thanks much. - Mark
So a couple of questions.

1. What year is your boat?
2. Do you know the difference between a original, new design, mark II and sport variations of the C22?

If your boat is of an original design then someone has updated the mast step. the stepping base is for the New Design and the ring is for your vang. The block is installed to accommodate trimming the mast incase someone broke out the old hole during a stepping so that the mast retains its original height.

If your boat is a new design or has a new Design mast (oval sides not round) then the block may make the mast too tall. The New design boat has a taller cabin top and a shorter overall mast than the original masts. So you use a block on an original design boat to retrofit the new design mast but not on a full length (uncut) mast on a new design boat.

Now for the bad news. That block needs some maintenance. Either remove and finish it, stabilize it with epoxy, paint it, etc. but do something as it is starting to weather. The block takes all the compressive force of the mast and needs to be one of, if not the single greatest point of strength on the boat. every adjustment to rigging you make increases pressure on this block constantly trying to crush it (compression). So you want to be 100% confident that this is a solid block and not starting to rot or made of something soft enough to indent under load. Likely the wood type is good if the PO sailed on it but certainly a little preventative maintenance will save you a lot of headaches along the way.

Welcome to the Catalina 22 family. If you have not done so I highly recommend joining and punching the tech manual for the Catalina 22 national Sailing Assiociation. It has everything you'll need to know about the block, rigging, and mods for the boat. A resource worth its weight in gold.

Fair winds!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Well, the mast stepped fine. The shrouds are long enough.
That's all that matters in the short term. My money says @pclarksurf nailed it in post #4.

Long term, @LakeShark makes a good point about the wood decaying. Personally, I'd replace it with a block of Delrin as a permanent solution. Delrin is indestructible and eternal. Comes in black or white. A scrap piece on Ebay would be cheap. Bed it down with butyl tape.

Congrats on the new-to-you 22! :thumbup:

Mark W

Aug 28, 2023
Catalina 22 Warren
So a couple of questions.

1. What year is your boat?
2. Do you know the difference between a original, new design, mark II and sport variations of the C22?

If your boat is of an original design then someone has updated the mast step. the stepping base is for the New Design and the ring is for your vang. The block is installed to accommodate trimming the mast incase someone broke out the old hole during a stepping so that the mast retains its original height.

If your boat is a new design or has a new Design mast (oval sides not round) then the block may make the mast too tall. The New design boat has a taller cabin top and a shorter overall mast than the original masts. So you use a block on an original design boat to retrofit the new design mast but not on a full length (uncut) mast on a new design boat.

Now for the bad news. That block needs some maintenance. Either remove and finish it, stabilize it with epoxy, paint it, etc. but do something as it is starting to weather. The block takes all the compressive force of the mast and needs to be one of, if not the single greatest point of strength on the boat. every adjustment to rigging you make increases pressure on this block constantly trying to crush it (compression). So you want to be 100% confident that this is a solid block and not starting to rot or made of something soft enough to indent under load. Likely the wood type is good if the PO sailed on it but certainly a little preventative maintenance will save you a lot of headaches along the way.

Welcome to the Catalina 22 family. If you have not done so I highly recommend joining and punching the tech manual for the Catalina 22 national Sailing Assiociation. It has everything you'll need to know about the block, rigging, and mods for the boat. A resource worth its weight in gold.

Fair winds!
Thank you for the welcome and insights. I have a newly acquired passing familiarity with some of the differences you mention. My boat is a 1982. This is clearly the upgraded stainless step rather than the older aluminum version. My mast is ovalish but the sides are flat. The block is clearly of some sort of soft wood. It isn’t showing any rot, but you are correct that it’s showing signs of weathering. After I shake the boat down I will either shore up the block, or more likely replace it with HDPE. My intention is to run lines to the cockpit so I will do all that at once. Thanks again for the additional information!
Mark

Mark W

Aug 28, 2023
Catalina 22 Warren
That's all that matters in the short term. My money says @pclarksurf nailed it in post #4.

Long term, @LakeShark makes a good point about the wood decaying. Personally, I'd replace it with a block of Delrin as a permanent solution. Delrin is indestructible and eternal. Comes in black or white. A scrap piece on Ebay would be cheap. Bed it down with butyl tape.

Congrats on the new-to-you 22! :thumbup:
Thank you so much. That is most likely the solution I will go with. My plan is to lead the lines to the cockpit so will update all at the same time.
Mark

Mark W

Aug 28, 2023
Catalina 22 Warren
you should measure your mast and see what the length is. IF it is under 25' it is the wrong mast.
The mast is right at 25 feet, so I’m not sure why they put the block there. I’ve removed it and I’m replacing the mast step with the improved non-welded version and the longer lag screw. Going to epoxy the compression post and re-drill just to be sure everything is up to snuff

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The mast is right at 25 feet
Well ... that's interesting. We're back to not knowing why that big wooden block is sitting on your doghouse!

Gotta wonder about the standing rigging now. If the mast isn't too short, it stands to reason the rigging must be too long.

Mark W

Aug 28, 2023
Catalina 22 Warren
Well ... that's interesting. We're back to not knowing why that big wooden block is sitting on your doghouse!

Gotta wonder about the standing rigging now. If the mast isn't too short, it stands to reason the rigging must be too long.
When stepped, all of the shroud turnbuckles are just about out of room to adjust longer and they added a piece of metal to the forestay stem fitting to attach the forestay. ‍♂

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
I got this from $tingy sailors blog. You might want to measure what you have and compare, replace as needed.

Here are the lengths of the cables for a Catalina 22 with standard rigging. All cables are 1/8” diameter, 1×19 construction.
PartLengthQuantity
Forestay26’ – 5 ½”1
Upper shrouds25’ – 3”2
Forward lower shrouds12’ – 10 ¼”2
Aft lower shrouds12’ – 11 ¾”2
Non-adjustable backstay28’ – 2 ¼”1
Stock adjustable split backstay24’ – 1 ¾”1
Stock adjustable split backstay bridle4’2

Mark W

Aug 28, 2023
Catalina 22 Warren
I got this from $tingy sailors blog. You might want to measure what you have and compare, replace as needed.

Here are the lengths of the cables for a Catalina 22 with standard rigging. All cables are 1/8” diameter, 1×19 construction.
PartLengthQuantity
Forestay26’ – 5 ½”1
Upper shrouds25’ – 3”2
Forward lower shrouds12’ – 10 ¼”2
Aft lower shrouds12’ – 11 ¾”2
Non-adjustable backstay28’ – 2 ¼”1
Stock adjustable split backstay24’ – 1 ¾”1
Stock adjustable split backstay bridle4’2
Thank you so much for the detailed information. I will definitely measure and replace as needed. I want the boat to be ship shape (sorry ).