WOOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob Rich

I have refinished several pieces of teak on my C-27. I have been using marine varnish, but I saw that Min Wax makes something called Spar Urethane which is explicitly made for outdoor applications. Thought it looked good. Anyone have any favorites for finishing teak when it comes to long-term durability and finish? Thanks in advance, Rob Rich

K

Keith

wood finish

There are lots of finishs that will work well on your boat. You did not state if you were finishing the wood for the inside or out side of the boat. Spar varnish is a good finish for the outside because it has a high level of oil in the finish which lets is expand and contract during the different temperature swings and the sun. Because of the higher oil though, it is a softer finish. It would work inside but I would go a straight varnish or polyurethane inside. Poly wipe or even danish oil also looks very good on inside wood which will give you a nice satin finish. Finishs are like bottom paint, every one likes the one they use best.

J

J.Breen

Varnish

I used spar varnish on my boat this spring and it worked well. I think the fact that it has UV blocker helps the most. I plan on refinishing the wood parts every spring though-to keep the varnish from breaking down in the sun.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Varnish snob

I am a confessed varnish snob. I hate Cetol. Armada is only slightly better. I can't imagine slopping that gunk on my beautiful teak! Ok, enough ranting. You'll find a huge variety of finishes out there. There are some 2 part epoxy finishes that are supposed to be good, some polyurethanes I've heard some iffy things about and just plain bad varnish. If you've already applied some varnish, you're pretty much stuck. Can't use polyU on top of varnish, nor some of the other products. You can always switch brands of varnish. Just make sure they're not polyurethane. Epiphanes makes an excellent high end varnish with lots of UV protectors. I also like Rivale's varnish (it goes on like liquid sex!) but it's pretty spendy. I'd stay away from the hardware store brands unless you want to put on twice as many coats three times as often as with the good stuff. And remember to refresh the varnish AT LEAST once a year, preferably twice. Shouldn't take but a day or two and worth the effort! BTW, there's a fantastic book by Rebecca Whitman called "Brightwork" that looks like a coffee table book but is actually a fantastic resource. Check it out from the library or buy it in our "chandlery" for $35 (worth EVERY penny). LaDonna

R

Rob Rich

Thank you!

Thanks Guys! And LaDonna, I feel the same way about the orange stuff. If I'm gonna take the time to mess with this stuff, I'm going to make sure you can see the natural grain/color of the wood. I am going to try half and half. I refinished half of the brightwork with marine grade varnish, and I am going to try spar urethane on the other pieces. In about a year, I guess I'll know which is the better product.

R

Rob Rich

RESULTS!

And the envelope, please.... Looks like Helmsman Spar Urethane, from MinWax takes the short-term gold medal. It was extremely easy to use, apply, store, sand, and clean up. The finish was somewhat brighter and clearer than the marine varnish, and it really showcased the color variations and the grain of the teak. Just gorgeous. The marine varnish worked well too, and while it was not quite as nice looking as the Urethane, the difference was not so dramatic as to cause a noticeable diffence between the urethane-finished wood and the varnished wood. The real test will be to see how each finish holds up a year from now. If they each do well, I will definitely be sold on the Spar Urethane. Make sure you get the Clear Gloss finish though, not semi-gloss or satin finish.

M

Mark

Cetol!

I bought my C-30 in February and the outside teak was looking a little neglected. After sanding off the old finish, I used three coats of Cetol and am very proud of the results! The teak looks great! The directions state to lightly sand the surface and recoat once a year. It seems like minor upkeep for nice looking teak!

Status
Not open for further replies.