Wood stains & sealers

Oct 16, 2023
Hunter 30 Little River
i have a 1981 Hunter 30 and sure that the products have advanced alot since then. That being said what products have the most success nowadays for outside stains/ and those for inside the boat other than teak. And for the outside food I see some that have a polly type hard coat is this correct and is it genarlly the best options?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to SBO.
I have been using Total Boat varnishes. With the boat out in the elements 24/7 they hold up fairly well for 18 months or so here in the PacificNW. Your mileage may vary.

You might find this comparison helpful.

I like that I can put on 3 coats a day without having to sand the varnish between coats. It speeds up the process.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I am a fan of the Cetol products for outside wood. It is the only thing that lasts for more than one season here in south Louisiana where the UV is brutal.. They have several choices that are good for inside and outside.. The outside stuff is easily maintained by a light sand and recoat..

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I am a fan of the Cetol products for outside wood. It is the only thing that lasts for more than one season here in south Louisiana
Second that vote! I usually get 3-4 years with 2 coats of natural Cetol & 2 coats of gloss. Nothing comes close to that durability in this environment.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I’m going back to Cetol. I never sanded between coats. Just cleaned it up. I tried LeTonkwais (something like that) and did not like the results as it started flaking away in two months. Now I know why the French navy uses it…(keeps the sailors busy)