Wood in the hull deck joint?

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
E2B04244-B61E-4CAD-9C7D-A448124C5551.jpeg

This is my O’Day 192, on the starboard side below the aft stanchion base (behind the fuel locker). The hull deck joint is fiberglass taped all the way to that point, and then it looks like there’s wood there. The wood is wet and rotten but it’s tough to get into that spot and get a closer look so I’m wondering if anyone knows what’s going on there / why it’s there. It’s not part of the deck core, it almost looks like a strip that was put inbetween the hull and deck joint. It has to be original to the boat because I had to cut the original flotation foam away to get into there.

I’ve rebedded all the hardware in the area and the deck core looks good.

So any ideas?

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I'm having a hard time understand where this is. I know the aft lifeline stanchion is just pas the house, and would be over top of where the quarter berth goes under the cockpit area. This also makes sense because your picture shows the carpet-like cabin liner. I don't think any of this I describe would be aft of the fuel locker. There's not much back there, except the "handles," and of course the motor mount on the transom. Best way to get there without having to climb in from the port side quarter berth and around behind and under the cockpit, would be an access port in the aft face of the fuel locker.

As for stanchion bases, when I removed and resealed mine, I found that the deck coring in that area was plywood, but no wood underneath the deck.

I'm sure the sealant on my aft handles is none too good, but as you note, getting to the starboard one would be difficult at best. Even getting to the port one through the lazarette would be difficult.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
I'm having a hard time understand where this is. I know the aft lifeline stanchion is just pas the house, and would be over top of where the quarter berth goes under the cockpit area. This also makes sense because your picture shows the carpet-like cabin liner. I don't think any of this I describe would be aft of the fuel locker. There's not much back there, except the "handles," and of course the motor mount on the transom. Best way to get there without having to climb in from the port side quarter berth and around behind and under the cockpit, would be an access port in the aft face of the fuel locker.

As for stanchion bases, when I removed and resealed mine, I found that the deck coring in that area was plywood, but no wood underneath the deck.

I'm sure the sealant on my aft handles is none too good, but as you note, getting to the starboard one would be difficult at best. Even getting to the port one through the lazarette would be difficult.
Since the post I’ve figured it out. The hull deck joint has a wood backer inside the hull, that’s then got a layer of glass over it and then the cabin carpet. If you feel the upper edge of your carpet, you’ll feel a flange right where the hull meets the deck. That strip of wood goes all the way from the bow to the stern and the hull deck joint and rubrail screws are screwed into it.

that picture is the aft end of the wood, here’s where you can find it in the cabin. It’s removed in this picture but you can see where it came from (starboard side).

AA97DCF4-96B7-4B8D-93F3-32AA29B43CBD.jpeg

The screws in my rub rail / hull deck joint were leaking so that wood strip completely rotted out. Capillary action and gravity let the water follow the sheer line and the water was traveling to the stern end of that wood.

Feb 5, 2015
O'Day 302 Ottawa
An old post but if you are still around, what did you replace the wood strip with? Or how did you re-secure the rub rail? I ask because I have the same issue happening where the glassed in wood strip has rotted in places and I am wondering what to replace it with to re- back the rub rail screws. Cheers.