Wood and Stain To Match 2006 Hunter 38 Aft Cabin + Plans for Cabin + Bed Modification

KelToy

Jul 28, 2023
Hunter Hunter 38 Keyport NJ
I am planning this April to remove the headboard and two seats in our 2006 Hunter 38 and extend the bed area to the starboard wall, and add a side table where the starboard chair is. This is a design to allow for a larger bed, and also make better use of the higher headroom that exists starboard. The new bed will be an unusual size - 71" wide and 85" on one side and 75" on other. This design basically copies what Hunter did with the aft cabin in the very similar later Hunter Marlow 37 aft cabins. I plan to order a custom mattress to fit the new space, and make a headboard, side table, shelf on wall, and new smaller engine cover (to allow space to still walk to head).

I used Fiveer to find a great company ( called "Veal") based in Indonesia, who did very nice 3D plans and renders based on my plans and measurements. I attach these here for anyone interested or anyone who has any advice!

My questions I hoped people could help with:

a) What kind of WOOD do I need to buy? I plan to buy a piece about 83" x 29" by 3/4" for the headboard, plus all needed new side table, shelves, new engine cove etc. Should I by TEAK laminate? What would match?
b) What kind of STAIN and FINISH should I use. I saw a post here that someone use Minwax Golden Pecan 245 to match Hunter 38. Would this be it? What would match the final look?

THANKS TO ALL FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS!

:)

KelToy

Jul 28, 2023
I wanted to add here the images of the 3D renders of the new space as we hope it will be and the wood pieces I need to make, stain and cut..

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your project is going to be exciting. Since you desire to match the existing materials you will need to get samples and test several to find the closest match before selecting the pieces. Teak will be very expensive. Mahogany with a proper stain match may provide an acceptable results. Perhaps reuse of wood pieces you remove from the boat will be possible.

There has been a trend away from all dark woods in boats. Beech ply with stain has been found to bring a bright and appealing interior to boat's.

It is really about the look you desire.

KelToy

Jul 28, 2023
Thanks John!!! I plan to begin this testing soon. I have found a wood shop in Mass that seems to specialize in wood for boats so I will send them a bit of our current wood. I THINK the original boat was Teak laminate with some sort of stain. I am only adding about 20% new things so I need to match existinWg older wood that looks like this. Anyone who has suggestions on what wood best matches are super appreciated!

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
What would be helpful in your situation would be to find a damaged boat from one of the hurricane events and when it is being scrapped ask for some of the cabinetry the you could repurpose.

Oct 22, 2014
If I had the answer it would be an easy fix.. Only way I can imagine, is to do a lot of calling looking for the right boat in Florida or along the Gulf coast.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If I had the answer it would be an easy fix.. Only way I can imagine, is to do a lot of calling looking for the right boat in Florida or along the Gulf coast.
Maybe call some of the larger boat insurance agencies. They would have a list of totaled boats. Not sure if they would share but you might get lucky and get the right person on the call.

Rob

KelToy

Jul 28, 2023
Thanks for tips! As I need specific sizes of new wood I think I will go the route of testing wood and stains to match. I guess I will begin with Teak and Minwax Golden Pecan 245. If anyone has other suggestions for woods and stains and I am all ears! tks!!

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
The finish was sprayed on at the factory. I attached a description for repairing damage to interior finish and a products list from Hunter. It should work for finishing raw wood as well. The key is the sanding sealer to lock the oils into the wood before applying the finish. The Mohawk products are still available and you can buy quantities for spraying.
Good luck with your project

Attachments

KelToy

Jul 28, 2023
The finish was sprayed on at the factory. I attached a description for repairing damage to interior finish and a products list from Hunter. It should work for finishing raw wood as well. The key is the sanding sealer to lock the oils into the wood before applying the finish. The Mohawk products are still available and you can buy quantities for spraying.
Good luck with your project
THANK YOU!! VERY INTERESTING....I WONDER IF THERE IS ANYONE I CAN CALL AT MOHAWK OR SOMEPLACE THAT CAN HELP ME BUY THE EXACT PRODUCTS I NEED TO MATCH....I WILL TRY THE NUNBERS LISTED. TKS!!

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
Thanks John!!! I plan to begin this testing soon. I have found a wood shop in Mass that seems to specialize in wood for boats so I will send them a bit of our current wood. I THINK the original boat was Teak laminate with some sort of stain. I am only adding about 20% new things so I need to match existinWg older wood that looks like this. Anyone who has suggestions on what wood best matches are super appreciated!
I'd like to keep this shop in mind. What's the name of the shop you tracked down?

Thanks!

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Thanks for tips! As I need specific sizes of new wood I think I will go the route of testing wood and stains to match. I guess I will begin with Teak and Minwax Golden Pecan 245. If anyone has other suggestions for woods and stains and I am all ears! tks!!
Please reply back with what you find, I would like to touch up a few areas on my 07 38

KelToy

Jul 28, 2023
The Wood Company I found in Mass is this one - seems very old school but they seem to focus on this:

I spoke with Fred there..

Would love to know if anyone can confirm if the 2006 Hunter 38 was indeed TEAK interior? And the specific Mohawk color stain and varnish? It seems they have a lot of options. TKS!!
Please reply back with what you find, I would like to touch up a few areas on my 07 38
Will do! I hope to figure this out soon!

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Boulter is fantastic! I've used them for a number of projects over the years and they are old school, but that's good! The minwax is a good match for the 2002 - ? teak interior boats when applied over teak veneer, finish is the clear Mohawk spray - you can buy it on amazon, non-aerosol cans you may have to buy direct

KelToy

Jul 28, 2023
Thank you! The 2006 Hunter 38 seems like its a "Cherry" interior, so I guess its Teak wood, with a stain like the Minwax Golden Pecan 245 (to make the Teak have the redder Cherry look)....then the Mohawk spray as a sealant? This seems to be what people recommend...

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Thank you! The 2006 Hunter 38 seems like its a "Cherry" interior, so I guess its Teak wood, with a stain like the Minwax Golden Pecan 245 (to make the Teak have the redder Cherry look)....then the Mohawk spray as a sealant? This seems to be what people recommend...
I believe the cherry stain is Minwax Cherry 235. At least that is what the dealer used for touchups on my boat when new. I have used this procedure (Repair Cherry Interior Wood Finish) in several areas of the boat since and the match is great. The nice folks in the Sail Boat Owners store maybe able to help.
1708880293671.png

Attachments

KelToy

Jul 28, 2023
This is AMAZING!!! Yes, this is 100% what I needed. Perfect! I will follow this plan - thanks to all the kind people who have posted here and shared these tips! I will post photos of the job when done. tks!