Wonderful Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I've always been a bit mystified by the high view counts for this forum since I'm not doing anything particularly noteworthy, like sailing the Northwest Passage or across the Pacific backwards. Some have suggested it's my writing. I do enjoy writing but just dash these posts off so it's hard to think of myself as a writer.

When I read something like this, I am utterly humbled and inspired. There are some real writers out there and this one speaks to so much of what draws us to the sea.

http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/author/rbschaer/

Feb 3, 2009
Camper Nicholson 39 CC Rockland, Maine
Roger,

Your writing gives all of us a way to travel by boat while we are still involved with our jobs, our families, our lives. Your writing, your travel blog, lets us imagine the way it may be for us in our time. We apprieciate what you contribute to all of us.

You and I, in the past, have written about where we are or where we have been. The places and the adventure of traveling and living on a sailboat. I agree with you that some others are better at writing about the emotional content of their lives and that is what really strikes at peoples hearts.

Cheers and best to you and Strider

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
You do write well, Roger, and as AnsleyS mentioned, you provide a window to our passions, however tied to the workaday world we may be.
Thanks!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Roger, that was a wonderful article. Thanks for sharing. We like your writing because you are honest and have much to share. Somehow I feel that we still don't know everything about you. You seem to reveal yourself at a measured pace so there is always reason to read more .... Like peeling back an onion! :)

Nov 29, 2011
Douglass & McCloud Thistle East of the Hudson
Writing

Roger

You are good writer. Not great, but good.

Most of us follow you, not for your deathless prose, but because you usually have something to say that is worth listening to.

You are good a separating opinion from fact, and you have humility. In spite of the fact that you know more about boats than 90% of us here, your threads are often about: I learned a lesson today, and here is how it went down or; I thought I knew this diesel as well as any woman I've known, but now I know either will throw you under the bus if you don't pay attention for a second.

Melville need not fear that you will kick him off his literary pedestal, but you are not far off Slocum in telling a good story in plain Yankee English.

You also think about who your audience is, whether here, WBF or FB.

Keep it up, you have many friends.

Allan

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I nominate Roger to moderate the "living vicariously" web forum

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
Roger,

As I've told you before, you're living my dream exactly, even to the brand of boat and the waters you're sailing in. In fact, I just returned from the Sassafras River a few weeks ago. That's where I plan to call home in 3 yrs when I retire. I follow your posts to glean knowledge from your travels that will aid me in mine.

Oh yeah, you write real good, too.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
You are good writer. Not great, but good
There are no great writers, only great re-writers. I don't do that so we'll never know if I could have been better. Good is good enough for me and, it's free.

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
Roger, been following your post/life for some time now. Your writing reveals your feelings and emotions at the time you are writing them. You take an analytical/engineering approach that is mostly to the point and concise. When it is not we-the readers can feel your confusion, excitement and frustration, and genuine joy. As previously mentioned you take a humble approach to your abilities and endevours. I for one find it refeshing in todays society that someone so educated and experienced in the nautical world can be honest, trustworthy, and unpretensious. Enjoy others writings and marvel at the way in which they can comunicate their ideals and feelings and count yourself among them in your own way. Thanks Roger, life is a journey and I like reading about yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.