Woah! Possible Halloween Spookiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I saw on the news this morning that it is now Cat 2 going over Cuba. The "European Model" has it going thru DelMarVa and the "American Model" has it going between Long Island & Cape Cod. They said the EM is considered more accurate. Looks like a weekend of misery. Another article I just read suggests the storm will go way north and make landfall in Canada.

The low over the mid-section is supposed to suck it in like a magnet. Possible snow in the Appalachians. The article was talking about the distinctions between tropical storms, cold-core storms and hybrids. It seems that this late-season storm is going to be influenced by the system moving in from the west.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
friend in rhode island said blizzard coming--stay warm and dry and dont blow away

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Reminds me of the "Perfect Storm".
The 1991 Perfect Storm, also known as the Halloween Nor'easter of 1991, was a nor'easter that absorbed Hurricane Grace and ultimately evolved into a small hurricane late in its life cycle. Wikipedia

There was somthing on Yahoo today about the possibilty of this storm being worse than the 91 event.

Hope you all stay safe & secure.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
from another weather source--good and interesting folks --

Interesting discussion by Dr Jeff Masters about the scenarios for New England and Mid Atlantic states.

The Northeast U.S. scenario

If Sandy makes landfall farther to the north near Maine and Nova Scotia, heavy rains will be the main threat, since the cold waters will weaken the storm significantly before landfall. The trees have fewer leaves farther to the north, which will reduce the amount of tree damage and power failures compared to a more southerly track. However, given that ocean temperatures along the Northeast U.S. coast are about 5°F above average, there will be an unusually large amount of water vapor available to make heavy rain. If the trough of low pressure approaching the East Coast taps into the large reservoir of cold air over Canada and pulls down a significant amount of Arctic air, the potential exists for the unusually moist air from Sandy to collide with this cold air from Canada and unleash the heaviest October rains ever recorded in the Northeast U.S., Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick. This Northeast U.S. scenario would probably cause damages near $100 million dollars.

The mid-Atlantic U.S. scenario

Landfall Monday along the mid-Atlantic coast on Monday, as predicted by the ECMWF and NOGAPS models, would likely be a billion-dollar disaster. In this scenario, Sandy would be able to bring sustained winds near hurricane force over a wide stretch of heavily populated coast, causing massive power outages, as trees still in leaf fall and take out power lines. Sandy is expected to have tropical storm-force winds that extend out more than 300 miles from the center, which will drive a much larger storm surge than its winds would ordinarily suggest. The full moon is on Monday, which means astronomical tides will be at their peak for the month, increasing potential storm surge flooding. Fresh water flooding from heavy rains would also be a huge concern. Given the ECMWF's consistent handling of Sandy, I believe this mid-Atlantic scenario has a higher probability of occurring than the Northeast U.S. scenario. However, it is likely that the models are overdoing the strength of Sandy at landfall. The models have trouble handling the transition from tropical storm to extratropical storm in these type of situations, and I expect that the 940 mb central pressure of Sandy predicted at landfall Monday in Delaware by the ECMWF model is substantially overdone.

Jeff Masters

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
weather report from Little River, South Carolina

Reminds me of the "Perfect Storm".
The 1991 Perfect Storm, also known as the Halloween Nor'easter of 1991, was a nor'easter that absorbed Hurricane Grace and ultimately evolved into a small hurricane late in its life cycle. Wikipedia
Left the basin about 1p.m. The wind was picking up and local noaa said by Friday night winds forcast for 24 to 32 knots with off shore seas 20'+.
Waves further out up to 30'.

My boat is only 28'.

Winds of 24 to 32 are normal storm winds not requiring super special precautions. Rain to start at midnight Friday and go thru Sunday a.m.

Of course this is with Thursday's forcast. It presumes a turn at 2 p.m. Friday. Otherwise it could go straight into South Carolina coast...

Ed K

Mar 8, 2011
Ranger 33 Norfolk
Oi!

Not going to go nuts, but I will add a couple dock lines and remiss in a lost weekend in what is otherwise the best sailing time :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.