Wisker Pole Operation??

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul

Hi, I am still updating my "new" 1980 C30 and learning to sail her. My previous sailing experience has been with my C22. Sailing down wind using the wisker pole is not too difficult on the C22 but how about with the C30??? The pole is much heavier and bulkier on the C30....Any special techniques?? I have not sailed any large boats before so my experience is limited with these larger poles and sails. Is the technique the same as with the C22? I have a 150 roller, expandable pole, and pole track on the front of the mast. I figured I would ask for advise before I go out and loose the pole over the side! Thanks, Paul

J

Joe Barrett

Pole

Try attaching a topping lift to the outboard end of the pole before attaching it to the genoa and have crew trim it for support. That way if you were to drop the pole it is still attached to the boat. The topping lift can be a spare masthead halyard or a line to a block halfway up the mast. The topping lift will support the pole particularly in light air and allow the sail to breath. Much better performance all the way around.

P

Paul

Good suggestion Joe.

Good idea Joe, I have the jib halyard available. It is not used because of the roller. I'll rig it to the end of the pole as suggested. I have a snap fitting on my whisker pole to connect to the sail clew. Do you have a separate eye pad on the end of the pole to attach the lifting line? Or do you just loop thru the snap eye? Best Regards, Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.