wisker pole mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steven f.

Finally got a new (used) line drive wisker pole for my H33. I'm now wondering where other 33 owners mount their poles. I'm leaning towards stantion mounts but my wife expressed concerns about off-shore stability. It figures that I just (last month) had a new main-sail cover made so I'm not anxious to mount it vertically against the mast or I'll need a modifacation to my brand new main cover. Like everyone else my deck is becoming crowded so I'm wondering if a deck mount is a good idea. When we cruise we seem to store a lot on deck ie; fuel/water jerry cans, dink or kayaks and our third anchor.

M

Mickey McHugh

Both

We have both methods on our 40.5 so we have a choice. The extra cost of a pair of mounts was worth it. If mounted vertical, our LC pole does not effect the main sail cover. The pole is attached above and below it. The cover zips up normally against the front of the mast with the pole exposed.

T

Tim Schaaf

On deck

Mine is attached to the base of one stanchion on the port side, and to a chock that is mounted on deck, to the port side of the anchor locker hatch. This installation is a snap, since there is no coring where the bolts go through, and you can get at both sides. The only disadvantage is that the anchor locker hatch rests against it rather than the lifelines, so I have to be careful not to let it get forced further open. But that is not a big deal. However, I would prefer that it were mast mounted. If you do that, make sure you don't drill into the conduit inside the mast, or any of the wires contained therein!

T

TOM MANALILI

assumpsion

I MAY BE TOTALLY WRONG, BUT THE FUNCTION OF THE WHISKER POLE IS TO SECURE THE FOOT OF THE GENNY, AWAY FROM THE BOAT, TO "WING" DOWN WIND SAILING, IF YOU HAVE A 110% OR UP TO 170%, EACH FOOT WOULD BE IN A DIFERENT VERTICAL HEIGHT, ASSUMING THAT YOU WANT THE MOST EFFECTIVE POSITION FOR YOUR WHISKER, IF IT'S FROM YOUR DECK THE HYPOTINUSE SIDE OF THE ANGLE, THE WHISKER S/B 1/3 LONGER TO GET THE SAME AFFECT AS IF WERE ON THE MAST IN A HORRIZ. LINE THE BASE OF THE ANGLE, AND IF THERE ARE ANY SAIL CHANGES, THE FOOT LOC. WILL ALSO CHANGE, THUS MAKING IT FAR MORE ADVANTAGIOUS ON THE MAST, SO CONNECT YOU WHISKER TO THE FOOT OF YOUR GENNY, HOLD IT HORRIZONTAL AND POSITION IT ON THE MAST, IN THEMIDDLE OF A FOUR FOOT TRACK ON THE MAST, GIVING YOU ADJUSTMENT, FOR OTHER SAILS.

Status
Not open for further replies.