Wiring multiple GFCI's

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Want to install a GFCI on every outlet by using just the line terminals as is done in residential construction
Does this method induce any problems on a boat
Thanks

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
How many AC outlets do your have?
Note you only need one per circuit. Placed on the first plug of the circuit. GFCI triggers it shuts down all of the plugs down stream.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I guess the question would be “why”. One GFI would for the entire chain of outlets on a single CB. Most GFI’s only have one Line lug so you would need to pigtail the hots to provide a “line” connection to the next downstream outlet, which is another corrosion/failure point.

Les

Note residential puts gfi either at CB or at first in chain.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The first outlet in a circuit should be a GFCI it will protect all subsequent outlets on that circuit. Many boats have Port and Starboard AC circuits, if yours is wired this way then 2 GFCIs will be necessary.

At home, if there is a GFCI, press the test button. All of the outlets down circuit will be dead until the GFCI is reset.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Want to install a GFCI on every outlet by using just the line terminals as is done in residential construction
Thanks
Does his boat not already have GFCIs on each line?

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
My hubble gfci's have a line and load connection
Tripping one gfci for all downstream outlets makes it hard to trouble shoot
Was thinking that some outlets would be nice to continue to operate if there was another fault
Just wondering if one gfci could interfere with another in the same circuit
For example my fridge on a circuit would not want it off because another appliance tripped it

Jan 11, 2014
Was thinking that some outlets would be nice to continue to operate if there was another fault
For example my fridge on a circuit would not want it off because another appliance tripped it
I could be incorrect, however, I believe when there are multiple GFCIs on one circuit nuisance trips can easily occur. GFCIs are set to trip at 4 or 5 ma. If a device on the circuit leaks 3 ma it won't trip the GFCI, if the next CFCI on the circuit leaks 3 ma it won't trip but the first GFCI on the circuit will because the cumulative leak is now greater than 5ma. If this occurs, then trouble shooting is complicated.

Adding an ELCI at the main panel and then 1 GFCI per circuit might be a better way to go.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Thats why fridges are usually on their own dedicated circuit...

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I could be incorrect, however, I believe when there are multiple GFCIs on one circuit nuisance trips can easily occur. GFCIs are set to trip at 4 or 5 ma. If a device on the circuit leaks 3 ma it won't trip the GFCI, if the next CFCI on the circuit leaks 3 ma it won't trip but the first GFCI on the circuit will because the cumulative leak is now greater than 5ma. If this occurs, then trouble shooting is complicated.

Adding an ELCI at the main panel and then 1 GFCI per circuit might be a better way to go.
The problem is with series connected GFCIs not paralell.

Ken

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ken. AC in parallel if I break the neutral white lead at the first connection will the rest of the circuit have a neutral lead when wired thru a GFCI circuit?

As I understand the idea of a GFCI circuit in a bathroom is to shut down all the plugs in the bathroom if one blows.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
GFCI's in series does not matter. Although you wouldn't wire it that way, I quite often use a GFCI power cord device closer to the tool I am using. They work by sensing an imbalance on the neutral and the hot lead and the most sensitive one will trip first if there is a problem. Also many of our boats might have older GFCI outlets in them that might fail in a condition where they are no longer a GFCI. If you have a newer one that is designed to fail open so that it won't pass power it should have a small embelm of a lock on the face of it or explain in the instructions, which I'm sure none of us have, that it self tests and will no longer reset if it fails.

https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Jacke...ywords=GFCI+Inline&qid=1562563864&s=hi&sr=1-6

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I wired my wife's garden with four separate circuits off a dedicated sub-panel, each GFCI protected at the board. Then I put individual GFCI outlets in (3 to 4 per circuit). I DO get the occasional nuisance trips when it rains hard, but if one outlet trips, it doesn't shut down the other outlets on the circuit. Our pond pump and filter wiIl continue to run, for example, if an outdoor fan has tripped its outlet GFCI.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Thanks
Our boat had two on several circuits and it took me a while to sort it out. Now it works fine but we’re rarely plugged in to land based power. Of course my wife has been after me to put in a garden with a pond, filter, and fans ever since she read that on-line somewhere. Maybe if we owned a catamaran.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
The plan would be to hook up in paralell using the line terminals so that the gfci only functions that particular outlet

Jan 11, 2014
The plan would be to hook up in paralell using the line terminals so that the gfci only functions that particular outlet
How do you plan to branch off the AC circuit? In household wiring wire nuts and pigtails would work. Shouldn't use wire nuts on a boat.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Just hook all wires to the Line side of the GFCI and that will make each one an individual on the same circuit.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
You are on to what im saying uncledom
Many jurisdictions require gfci to be hooked this way now
Also installed an elci on shorepower
Just wanted to be sure this way was no interference on a boat have 9 circuits

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Ken. AC in parallel if I break the neutral white lead at the first connection will the rest of the circuit have a neutral lead when wired thru a GFCI circuit?

As I understand the idea of a GFCI circuit in a bathroom is to shut down all the plugs in the bathroom if one blows.
If I understand your question: In series, the neutral wire certainly will affect downstream outlets. In parallel, there are no downstream outlets. I'm not sure why series GFCIs interfere with upstream units, but it's a well-known issue. I suspect it may be related to the small current each one uses to function.

Ken