Wiring mast lighting connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don

I'm replacing my old (broken) 240 Hunter mast. When the mast sheared it cut the mast head light wiring (low voltage three wire). After receiving the new mast from US Spars,I found that I had to cannibalize the old mast and use the mast head light. This should have been easy to do. I would simply open the old male connector (that was attached to the cable in the old mast that connects to the female cable connctor embedded in the deck) and see which colors are attach to what pins. Well my mast light never did work,and since I only day sail I never did troubleshoot the problem. My error. When I opened the connector from the old mast...I then found what the problem was. None of the three wires were connected to the pins in the connector. There was no exposed copper wire terminated in the connector.Just stubs. Severalfeet upinside the mast, the covering of the three wire cable also had a few slices in it, but thankfully didn't expose the copper in the wires. (As an FYI the were also no cotter pins in turnbuckles of my top stays on the mast; the electrical panel fell out after a few weeks; several components on the rigging were not stainless steel...they rusted and I replaced them. the bottom paint wasn't completly done under the tiller;trailerlights were broken; the nuts that lock the adjustment on the mast support struts shouldhave been screwed up to the bottom of the struts...they weren't...other things too.) Did I get a mast from a disgruntled assembler ? Oh well I fixed them all. My problem now is.. which wires do I connect to which pins in the connector and which leads on the mast head light ?? Most of the chandleriesin my area only have flat three wire. I can't find another connector either at these locations that would match the female conector embedded in the deck and accomodate flat wire. If anyone has drawing(can't find any numbers on the pins of my connector)showing which color wires connect to which pin ...and the mast head light contacts...I would appreciate it. Whew..I promise that I will never break another mast again

M

Mike

If you don't have a manual

Here is a link to the online page which shows the mast wiring. Seems to be a random choice of wire colors, but hopefully this will get you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.