Wiring issue with 3ym20 & Beneteau 31

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
A few weeks ago my bilge blower suddenly stopped working and later I noticed that the alternator wasn't charging. I had a pretty good idea where to look and sure enough I found a broken crimp connection. This weekend I got around to fixing it. I simply crimped a 10/12 awg heat shrink connector over the remaining crimp connection. It passed the pull test and I shrank it down. That probably isn't the best method but I bet it lasts longer than the original method. At least mine has some heat shrink to dampen some of the vibration and hopefully prevent work hardening and cracking of the metal.

Attachments

Jul 25, 2023
Beneteau 370 Annapolis
Thank you for the update. I looked at the connectors and even replaced the relay and still no luck. I attached a picture. I tested the power coming to the trigger side which should be on when the engine power is switched on and off otherwise. That works fine. However, the wire that you have shown in yours as broken and has the white end on mine does not have power. Basically if there is no power coming to the relay, turning it on or off has no effect.

During your diagnosis, did you check the power coming in? Any tips would be appreciated.

Attachments

Jul 23, 2009
Mine didn't require farther diagnosis, it was obvious the broken wire was the problem.

I'll look over the photos and try to figure out what's going on and get back to you. I'm rather busy at work at the moment. I

Jul 23, 2009
I found some other photos of this relay on my boat at it appear that the switched hot lead energizes the relay and the ground is then applied to the output terminal. That seems like a strange way to do it, but it is what it is.

I hope that helps.

Jul 23, 2009
Also, looking at the diode orientation the ground is defiantly switched at the relay.

Have you resolved you issue?