Wiring & Installing A Battery Monitor

Ayva78

Mar 25, 2013
Rota 6.60 Bodrum
Hi Maine Sail,

Thanks for the magnificant post.

I have this setup in my boat.

1) When the engine is running, i can read the positive current.
When it is stopped, i am not reading any negative current while some electric devices or lights are on.
The "I" screen on the monitor always shows "0"

2) In the battery capacity setup screen, how many amperes do i have to set?
My house battery is 90+90=180 amperes and starter battery is 90 amperes.

Do you have any idea?

Ps: Sorry for my bad english.

Onur Özben

Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
You set the monitor to the size in amp hours of the house bank only. The start battery is only measured for voltage.

At first glance I am not sure why you are not reading any usage on the meter.

I did notice that the alternator output is going to the common on the battery switch. It should go directly to the house bank positive post. The ACR will take care of the start battery.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Onur, I think the problem is that your shunt is only measuring the current flow for the starter battery, not the house. The ground for the starter battery should be on the "top" side of the shunt. The ground for the house bank should be connected to the bottom of the shunt, so it can measure the current flow to and from the house bank.

Rob

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2006
Hunter 25.5 Cayuga Lake, NY
"All" battery grounds need to be on one side of the shunt and "All" use grounds on the other. Just move your house bank ground over to the other side and you will have it.

Sep 28, 2008
"All" battery grounds need to be on one side of the shunt and "All" use grounds on the other. Just move your house bank ground over to the other side and you will have it.
Not exactly. The monitor only measures the house bank for AH in/out. The negative for the start battery should be on the use side of the shunt.

Attachments

Dec 16, 2006
Yup, your right! The 602 monitors voltages only for the start bank. I was thinking of the single 600 setup. My bad!

Ayva78

Mar 25, 2013
Rota 6.60 Bodrum
Onur, I think the problem is that your shunt is only measuring the current flow for the starter battery, not the house. The ground for the starter battery should be on the "top" side of the shunt. The ground for the house bank should be connected to the bottom of the shunt, so it can measure the current flow to and from the house bank.

Rob
Thanks Rob, it worked :thumbup:

Ayva78

Mar 25, 2013
Rota 6.60 Bodrum
I have another problem now.

When i turned off the engine, batteries voltages takes few hours to fall below 12.75v, so in this period batteries remains connected.
When i turned the switch to off position, nothing changes.
The led light on the ACR still remains lit and batteries are connected.

Nov 16, 2012
I have another problem now.

When i turned off the engine, batteries voltages takes few hours to fall below 12.75v, so in this period batteries remains connected.
When i turned the switch to off position, nothing changes.
The led light on the ACR still remains lit and batteries are connected.
I think that's how the ACR is supposed to work. If the voltage on either battery drops below 12.35V for > 10 seconds, or below 12.75V for > 30 seconds the relay opens. At some point the voltage will drop low enough to disconnect them. But as long as they both are > 12.75V it doesn't matter if they are combined.

Ayva78

Mar 25, 2013
Rota 6.60 Bodrum
Yes Rob you are right but i think even if one or both batteries are above 12.75, it should cut the connection when the switch is turned off.

Nov 16, 2012
Yes Rob you are right but i think even if one or both batteries are above 12.75, it should cut the connection when the switch is turned off.
The ACR has no way of knowing how your battery switch is set. All it can do is monitor the two battery voltages. As long as both are above 12.75V it doesn't matter if they are connected.

Ayva78

Mar 25, 2013
Rota 6.60 Bodrum
Ok,

While the batteries are connected, I dont want to leave the boat.

If i put an on/off switch as shown in the picture to cut the connection when i leave the boat.

What do you think, is there any problem?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
RTFM - IIRC the ACR, like a combiner, can have an I/O switch in the negative lead to turn it off.

Dec 16, 2006
You should have a fuse in the negative lead per the instructions, just pull the fuse.

Sep 28, 2008
Stu is correct. If you wish to install a switch use a simple SPST in the negative line - about $5. A switch in the heavier positive cabling would be a bit more expensive.

Why don't you want to leave while the banks are still connected?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Ok,

While the batteries are connected, I dont want to leave the boat.

If i put an on/off switch as shown in the picture to cut the connection when i leave the boat.

What do you think, is there any problem?

I think you are over thinking this. The ACR will un-combine before your batteries reach a "resting" voltage. No need to worry. I would not recommend a switch in either of the + legs. If you feel you must turn it off then a switch in the neg lead is how best to do that... That said just apply some DC load before you leave the boat to wipe the surface charge and the ACR will uncombine.

brale

May 23, 2013
Elan 31s Rijeka
Hi everyone
I recently installed Victron BMV602 battery monitor. It normally shows voltage for both batteries but something with current I don't understand.
When there is no load, nothing is switched on and no charging is being done, battery meter displays positive current (about 0,4 A). When batteries are charging from alternator or with shore cable, current is at about 4 A positive and when I turn on the lights, pump etc current goes negative which sholud be like that.
The problem is with that minimum positive curent of cca 0,4-0,5 A when nothing is connected to the sistem.
Any ideas??

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The problem is with that minimum positive curent of cca 0,4-0,5 A when nothing is connected to the sistem.
Any ideas??
1. You should be seeing both + and - amp draws. Usually only - shows as - on the display, + has no sign.

2. The manual should explain that there is always a "parasitic" draw, which is usually only the backlighting. That backlight intensity can be changed by using the menus, thus reducing the parasitic draw.

Good investment on your part, enjoy.

brale

May 23, 2013
Elan 31s Rijeka
1. You should be seeing both + and - amp draws. Usually only - shows as - on the display, + has no sign.

2. The manual should explain that there is always a "parasitic" draw, which is usually only the backlighting. That backlight intensity can be changed by using the menus, thus reducing the parasitic draw.
Thanks for quick reply.
I undestand the plus and minus sign before amps. Normaly when load is on, current has minus sign and value depending of the quantity of load. When battery is being charged current has no sign, it is positive.
I undestand the parasitic draw but I have opposite - "parasitic charge" which ofcourse is not possible but that is what it displays.
It seems to good to be true that that my battery is charging as by itself ;)
Strange..