wiring help odat 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim

Hello, I have numerous electical problems, the biggest being the mast head forward running light. The wire from the top of the deck corroded and broke, with almost no slack to connect a new set of wires. Is this wire in the wall in the center of the cabin? Taking the cabin walls and ceiling apart will be very time consuming. Also, the is no anchor light at the top of the mast? Is this standard for a 1980 25 oday? Thanks. Jim 239- 282-5896.

M

MArk

More black and red wires

Hi Jim, On the related link below there is a reference to the O'Day 25 Electrical diagram courtesy of Kelly Gates. You should be able to scroll down to that link and pull up the wiring diagram. There doesn't appear to be an anchor light wire. I can't tell from the diagram if the wire goes through the ceiling or bulkhead. If you have to open up a wall to repair/replace the running light wire, you just as soon add a wire for an anchor light while you're at it. Happy sails _/), MArk

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Wiring

I belive you will find that wire was installed before the deck and deck liner were joined. Someone may correct me. I think you'll do a nicer job by tucking the wire into the crevice where deckliners and bulkhead meet than by taking everything apart. You'll see it, but not badly. Run it on the head side. As far as the anchor light - many boats don't have one. If you're not due for a mast rewire I wouldn't go out of my way to run that wire. Add it next time the mast electrics need re-doing. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

R

R.W.Landau

Justin ,You beat me again

Jim, I have a 78 O'Day 25. I abandon all the old wiring and installed new. Justin is right about running the wiring on the head side and that the old wiring is molded into the headliner ( no way to get at it). I ran the mast wiring and the Vhf in a bundle up the back side (in the head not the main cabin) of the bulkhead. You are right, i think O'Day only installed the steaming light. I don't worry about the anchor light. I hang an all around light made by Davis that has about a tenth of the current draw of a standard anchor light. I don't think I will ever rewire an anchor light on mine. Got to much stuff up there already and I like that low current draw of the Davis anchor light that you plug into a dc receptical (cigarette lighter socket). r.w.landau

Status
Not open for further replies.