Wiring Harness Upgrade

Mar 13, 2017
Catalina 30 Liberty Bay Marina
Hi All,
In the process of updating my wiring harness from the original, dangerous trailer plugs. There have been rats nests at each spot (behind the panels, battery box, engine). Starting to make sense of it, but still struggling. I've cut out the old trailer plugs at the engine and behind the start panel and re-connected the wires through terminal strips, but not all of the wires make sense to me. There were even a few not connected to anything...

Attached are a few pics of what I am presently dealing with (the ammeter has been replaced with a voltmeter). Hoping someone can send me a picture of their's properly wired, or can tell me which wires to move where - even a point in the right direction ;) Thanks!
IMG_3954.jpg

IMG_4058.jpg
IMG_4062.jpg

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
It looks like the loose red ring should be a spade connector and go to the positive side of the temp gauge light. If it was mine i would pull it, ditch the amp meter, replace the wires with consistent colors and change the terminal strip for a weatherpak connector. I did this mod last summer and am not happy with the terminal block. Be sure you also do the glow plug relay and loose the amp meter so there are no major current carying wires there. In place of the amps consider replacing with oil pressure.

I think catalinadirect has plexy covers to protect the gauges a bit.
Les

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
:plus:
It sounds like you need to enlist some help from someone that understands electricity. It's not something you want to guess at with pictures.

Mar 13, 2017
Catalina 30 Liberty Bay Marina
Les, great idea to weather proof the terminal strip. Also, I'll be sure to do the glow plug relay.

Stu, that link to the wiring diagram is just what I need. The wiring harness upgrade kit and voltmeter that I purchased from Catalina Direct included instructions on how to cut out the trailer plugs and basically match like colors into the terminal strip, but didn't include a wiring diagram to reference for behind the gauges.

Good to know, Justin.

Thanks, everyone!

Apr 30, 2014
Catalina 30 San Francisco
Here's my "before and after" pictures. My panel is different since I have an Atomic 4 with only an oil pressure gauge and water temperature gauge. I've omitted the ammeter. I tried to follow the ABYC wiring color standards. I wasn't ever able to find anyone selling the yellow wire with red stripe for the starting circuit so I had to reuse it. All of the other wiring is new.
Before-
IMG_2778.jpg

After-
IMG_4643.jpg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Here's my "before and after" pictures. My panel is different since I have an Atomic 4 with only an oil pressure gauge and water temperature gauge. I've omitted the ammeter. I tried to follow the ABYC wiring color standards. I wasn't ever able to find anyone selling the yellow wire with red stripe for the starting circuit so I had to reuse it. All of the other wiring is new.
Very neat work. Did you diagram it out? I've been trying to map mine as I go. I still need to install some drawing software on my PC

Apr 30, 2014
Thanks! I haven't drawn a wiring diagram yet for a couple reasons. First, I labeled and heat shrank both ends of every wire so there's no ambiguity as to what the wire connects. Second, every wire is color coded to ABYC standards (i.e light blue=oil pressure etc). If I were to sell the boat, I'd draw one up for the next owner.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
@Launchpad McQ - Did you have to buy a whole roll of wire in each color, or did you order one piece of each cut to the (approximately) correct length? In other words, can you buy wire like cordage, and get only what you need?

Apr 30, 2014
Yep you can purchase BC (boat cable) rated wire by the foot. I bought some from West Marine to start the project but if you're not in a time crunch, you can find it online for less. One of my slip neighbors turned me on to www.genuinedealz.com. I was pretty happy with their customer service. Defender and all the other boat sites I'm sure sell by the foot as well.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice job LM. This is a task in my future. Fortunately I had Les available to help me with my spaghetti of a wiring harness recently. When we first looked at it he asked "Where in your engine wiring diagram?" My blank stare and shrugged shoulders told him volumes. We at least deciphered most of the code. The diagram would be a great time saver and reward you with silent thank you's from future owners.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
I didn't look at your engine specs but Moyer has a nice 'schematic' of the wiring from gauges to the various posts on the engine.

Attachments