Wiring for electric winch - 2002 386

Nov 14, 2016
Hunter 386 QCYC
I have a 2002 386, and am planning to replace my inboard port side Lewmar 40 with an electric winch (target is the repetitive strain from winding in the furling main, not as concerned about the halyards ...).

My question for anyone with a 2002 model year: did Hunter lay in wiring for this at the factory? Or am I spending a few days fishing #1/0 wire through some uncomfortable and narrow areas of the boat?

Thanks for your advice and help.

Hamish

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I had a 2004 Hunter 386 and thought about installing an electric winch for the main sheet as I now have on my Hunter 46 (factory installed). Because of the high cost of an electric winch, instead I purchased a WinchRite cordless electric winch handle winchrite (winchhandle.com) for furling the mainsail in and out of the mast. The benefit of the WinchRite is that I took it with me when I purchased the Hunter 46 and use it for the same purpose.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
@Hamish_s I was just fishing around in that area for my solar installation. On my boat ('07 38) there was no additional wiring in there already. I strongly suspect you'll have to fish. Basically the only thing you likely won't have to do is cut a hole for the breaker, on my boat the hole for the breaker is there, labeled winch, but you'll have to do everything else including crimping those heavy ends. See if you can borrow/rent a hydraulic crimper, possibly an auto parts store if you don't have a buddy.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
fishing #1/0 wire through some uncomfortable and narrow areas of the boat?
Kind of heavy cable for a 60A @ 12V load (Lewmar - Ocean 40ST) or else an exceptionally long route. Maybe recalculate. Future expansion ? Sure you don't mean #1 AWG for one winch ?

1636399989975.png

Nov 14, 2016
Hunter 386 QCYC
Thank you sfbay, flightlead and Ralph - I see in the owner's manual there is alleged to be an optional "electric halyard" set of wires (#2, yellow and red) that go to the starboard side, and they also purport to provide chase tubes in key areas - I have not yet crawled upside down.

I get the idea of the winchrite, and see many advocates and whingers. I suppose it is a low-cost way to test, and if not adequate, can always kijiji!

Ralph - yes indeed, a typo #1 AWG, not 1-ought (1/0) Thanks!

I will await some other responses and take the winter to listen, assess and install. Always fun to try to fish/pull #1/0 wire anywhere other than a highway.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
There are plenty of tubes in my boat and some of them had pull strings already. However entry to the tubes wasn't convenient for my wire run, and on my boat some of the pull strings wound't "pull". I ended up running my solar cables without the tubes and used a steel fish tape and masonry line as pull strings, some of which I left in place.

You may have better luck.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
There are plenty of tubes in my boat and some of them had pull strings already.
You are lucky, no pull strings in the tubes in my boat. But a length of copper 110V house wiring works well as a cheap “push” rod.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hunter did not install winch wiring if the winch wasn’t fitted. When you buy the cable, you’ll understand why.
On my 49 I did run 1/0 for winches.
Make sure you have the correct crimp tool and end crimps.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I got very lucky when WM would have Bogo sale on Lewmar winches every year and I saved even more
by getting Bogo on the conversion for my Lewmar 40 winches.
I added the electric 40 winches for my jib and mad some changes by extending furling line to reach my jib winches and all my lines go Back to my jib winches and even use the jib winches to haul up my dinghy motor side and this was on my 2007 H-36 and most said could not fit but after many times ready to give up but I got them to barely fit and love them.
Nick