Wiring for batteries and shore power charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chip

I am trying to understand my electrical wiring with regard to the batteries and the shore power charger. From what I can tell, it appears that I have the following configuration but part of the wiring is obstructed from view so I am guessing about the way it wires into the Off-1-Both-2 switch. Does this guess make sense? Is there a better way to connect the charger? 2 - 12 Volt Deep Cycle Interstate SRM24s. Each one has a negative terminal which is wired directly to ground in the vicinity of the engine. The positive post from each battery has a wire that appears to run to the Off-1-Both-2 switch (obstructed from view but the cables seem to route as if this is the case). One box labeled "battery charger" which has a wire running from it to the secondary positive post of the #2 battery. The wire has a circular connector which surrounds the secondary positive post on the #2 battery. However, the wire is not firmly attached to the battery (there is no wing nut or anything else holding the wire in place. When I test the voltage on the wire, it seems to have a voltage between 12V and 13V (closer to 12V) most of the time when I have shore power connected. There is a switch labeled "battery charger on/off". When this switch is in the off position, voltage on the wire is 0V. Does this make sense? Is there a better way to wire this system? If I leave it as is, does it mean that I must have the Off-1-both-2 switch in the "both" position in order to charge both batteries when in port or running the alternator? As always, Thanks in advance! Sincerely, Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.