Wiring a foam filled mast

pgl

Jun 1, 2018
O'day 22 Aylmer
I have this O'day 22 and I want to install a anchor and running lights on the mast. However the mast is filled with foam and I can't fish the wires down the mast. Any idea and/or solution to this problem?

Thanks for your help

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
An anchor light does not have to be mounted on the mast-head, it simply needs to be visible 360 and meet a brightness standard. Same thing with Nav lights and in fact I would not want my nav lights on the masthead. So dance with what you have, it is plenty fine.

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
how filled is it? The mast on my Newport had foam "blocks" every so often up the mast. I found that I couldn't fish a tape through, but I was able to buy a few pieces of PVC pipe, and push it through with a little effort, and then used that as a large fish tape of sorts, taping the wire through and pulling everything back through.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I'd put the running lights on the bow pulpit, and for my self, the mast head is the WORST possible place for an anchor light. I've always had my about 6 feet off the deck where the late night drunk dingy drivers, and or the pre dawn fishermen, can see them.

I've been told "but ships can see them easier up high" I don't normally anchor in water deep enough to worry about ships!!

Now, your steaming light DOES belong on the forward face of the mast- don't know what to tell you there.

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
I always carry a 2nd rechargeable LED lantern to hoist on a halyard halfway up the forestay in instances where I believe it would be better served to have that visibility. I'm usually in spots that are off the beaten path, away from any traffic almost entirely and with little to no background lights to confuse my new anchor light I mounted. It's also a lot brighter than I expected it to be.

I've also in the past used some solar LED garden stake lights lashed to stanchions fore and aft to give another mark of visibility at deck level. They aren't as bright as the others, but for a dollar apiece, it seemed easy enough. Plus if you have to step out on deck in the middle of the night, there's at least a little glow to help guide you.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You can run the wires outside the mast. I think that's done with wooden masts. If you're worried about UV you can put them in a conduit. But I agree with others that you could use a portable unit and there are runnings lights that can be mounted on the bow or elsewhere which are battery operated. You need to ask yourself how much night operation do you do. And remember if you use designated USCG anchorages you do not need anchor lights to be legal.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
The masthead or "steaming light" only needs to be one meter (39.4") above the red/green side lights. You can probably rig that just forcing a fish tape up through the foam. Or take a piece of PVC pipe, cut saw teeth in one end and chuck the other in a drill motor to cut a channel through the foam. One of my previous boats had the masthead light about six feet above deck which was about four feet above the side lights. Perfectly legal and when the bulb burned out I could easily replace it. Of course my lights are now all LED so I'll let my grandchildren worry about replacing them. An anchor light is best just hung from the boom, it's more visible down low.

Last edited:

cjm1

Jul 10, 2013
custom Herreshoff 33 sloop Lake Charlevoix
Put a PVC race on inside of 53 FT mast with foam blocks inside. I glued 5, 10 FT pieces together and a shaped wood spear point and pushed it thru. No problem and the foam holds it in place.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Might I suggest a really, really...REALLY long drill bit? lol
Sorry. I agree that a piece of pipe might just push through the foam.

pgl

Jun 1, 2018
O'day 22 Aylmer
I was going to weld many drill bits together:)
Must admit i did think about that ”Wish i had a long drill bit”.

So the verdict. Buy 1/2 inch pipes chisel the head of the first one and bang it in... Dont miss or your hand will hurt like hell....or use a shovel to hammer it in, then you won't miss. Kidding. Its flimsy when you try to hammer a 10 foot 1/2 pipe in there is a good chance you will miss and hit your hand. so 2 people is better for this job.

1/2" tube and pointed head work well and I now have light on my mast with interior wires. Thanks to all for your input.

Cheers!