Wireless System Effectiveness in Northern Climes?

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I've been using Raymarine's wireless wind, depth & speed system in Arizona for several years and am very happy with it.
I’m considering installing the same on the coast of Maine but wondering whether the lower intensity of the sun here will reduce its effectiveness. Has anyone used this system at similar latitudes and had any problems? Thanks.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I dont have a system like that.
I assume it is solar powered ?

Many people dont realize that solar panels have LESS outout as the temperature increases.
Rated Specs are usually for 25C/77F. Heat can reduce power output by as much as 25%.
As temperature goes up, the output current goes up and the voltage output drops.
Some panels have a rated "max power temperature coefficient" listed in the specs. It is how much power will drop for every 1C increase in temperature.
Mono and polycrystalline panels lose the most as temps go up.

Call the manufacturer. They would know the specs.

Number of daylight hours, and frequency of clear skies is obviously a factor. That would be more of an issue.

Jan 2, 2017
Yes, solar powered.
I've used that system in the hot summer days in Arizona with no problem.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Yes, solar powered.
I've used that system in the hot summer days in Arizona with no problem.
Yup. Any decent designer would size the panels so they work within the range of expected temps, amount of sunshine and resulting panel output.

My point was that the panels will actual work better in cooler climates. Electronics in general, dislike being hot so it will be better that way too.:thumbup:

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We had Tacktick (bought out by Raymarine) wireless instruments on our boat for about 20 years. They worked fine everywhere between NYC and Northeast Harbor, ME. The solar array is only to keep the tiny batteries in each unit up to snuff, so not much is needed. Ours only saw light of day when we were actually using them in the daytime. Otherwise, no solar power generated with the covers on or at night. Not an issue.

Jan 2, 2017
Thanks. PaulK. Sounds like I won’t have a problem.