Wire Size to Bus Bar?

Sep 25, 2019
2002 Cat 22 MkII Lake Somerville
I currently have 5 wires coming from various items attached to the positive stud on my battery so one of my winter projects is to add a bus bar to clean that up. My question is....what size wire is typical for going from battery to bus bar?

Thanks in advance and fair winds!
Zinger88
~~~ _/) ~~

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It would depend on the sum of the loads connected to the buss. Hopefully all of those lines are fused.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I used 12AWG from the battery to the positive bus, and from the positive bus to the breaker panel. The only thing on the positive bus (besides the breaker panel) is the VHF, and maybe someday a bilge pump. Everything else is switched at the panel.

My "cabin accessories" switch is wired to a secondary bus bar, to which all the cabin lights and power-outlet feeds are connected.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
How long is your run from the breaker/fuse? If the run to the bus bar is properly sized, I would continue with that size from the bus bar to the battery depending on the distance.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Every tapp from battery and from buss bar has to be fused or over current protection (circuit breaker) I'd suggest a fuse or small circuit breaker panel with a 30amp main and #10 wire off battery

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have a main power panel, but I added a remote distribution panel off of it in my stern locker. This worked out nicely. You can get them in 4, 6 or 12 circuit.

fuse box.jpg

Sep 25, 2019
Appreciate all the reply's. Unfortunately I'm going to have to swing by the marina and take a look again at what all is attached to the positive stud. I'll report back soon with the details. Sorry...should have had that info before asking the question. :doh:

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I have a main power panel, but I added a remote distribution panel off of it in my stern locker. This worked out nicely. You can get them in 4, 6 or 12 circuit.

View attachment 189038
Dont buy the Chinese version of this! Spend the extra $10 for the Blue Sea version. I had to take apart the Chinese one I bought on ebay and bend every single fuse holder so the fuses would actually stay in. It will quickly be thrown in the trash when it's time for readjustments

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Suggest you buy a distribution panel that uses auto type, two prong fuses and not glass cylindrical fuses. As stated above Blue Seas products are the way to go.

Sep 25, 2019
Welp....I certainly feel stupid! I stopped by the boat this past weekend and realized it was my negative stud that had the stack of 5 terminals. :facepalm:

I installed a Blue Seas bus bar and used 10 AWG wire to connect to the negative side and then attached those 5 negative leads to the bus bar to clean things up. I have three items (main panel, auto tiller, solar panel) on the positive stud and all are fused.

Fair winds...
Zinger88
~~~_/)~~

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
Is it directly from the solar panel, or do you have a charge controller?