Wire-Rope halyard length

Apr 6, 2011
Cal 1-27 backyard
Please help if you can add any insight. I am replacing the wire-rope halyards on my 27 foot Cal. If I were to replace with all rope (which I am not), the lengths would be 69 ft for the main and 85 feet for the jib.

Does anyone know how long the wire part should be for each of these? Likewise, the rope part? I cannot find this anywhere online.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Chris, it all depends on the way you have your boat rigged. The wire section of the halyard is buried inside the rope tail typically between 30"- 36". If your halyard is secured by a rope clutch, you don't want any of the buried wire to enter the clutch because the clutch will not hold as well as the all rope portion will. You will have to determine these dimensions yourself by measuring the length of the wire portion of the halyard in the fully hoisted position.

If you aren't using clutches, you can allow the buried wire portion to go around a winch but avoid having it made fast by a horn cleat which could put permanent bends in the wire.

I just had some custom wire to rope halyards made. If you are looking for a high quality rigger to make up your wire to rope halyards at a very reasonable price, send me a PM for contact information.

If you give us some additional details on your present setup, we'll be able to give you more specific recommendations.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2011
Cal 1-27 backyard
I am pretty new to this... but this is what I know.

The halyard cleats on the mast and does not go in the cabin. It is supposed to have the wires go through the pulley at the top of the mast. What other information can I relay to you to help you out? Also, what is the common size of the wire for this size boat?

Thanks a lot

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Do you have a winch mounted on the mast before the cleat? 1/8" min 5/32" max wire size would be the correct diameter. You should use the size you presently have (unless it's obviously wrong) because your existing sheaves are grooved to accommodate a specific diameter wire.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
According to sailboatdata.com your P dimension (distance from boom to top of mast) is 30.8 ft. So the wire portion has to be at least 30.8 ft to avoid having rope on the sheeve designed for wire.

Now we know some minimum dimension, what is the maximum dimension? As previous posters mentioned don't want the wire in the cleats. Problem is the cleat is probably not too too far beneath the boom.

Given that I would GUESS the wire portion should be about 31 ft long, that would keep the rope out of the sheeve (where do you attach the halyard when not in use) and give the least chance of the wire going into the cleat at the base of the mast.

Things to consider,
How far is the head of the main from the top of the mast?
How many turns do you take on the winch and how big is the winch?
How high above the boom is the head of the sail when the main is lowered?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Remove the old halyards and use them to get your dimensions. Attach a messenger line to the wire end when you pull them out... use the messenger to pull the new halyard through. You can probably buy pre built wire to rope halyards that will fit... I found dimension specs at this siite: http://www.richardanderson.net/TechSavvy/CAL_BOATS.html

The proper size for your boat is 1/8 inch 7x19 wire -- 3/8 inch braided dacron rope.

This prebuilt wire/rope halyard from Defender would probably work.... what you do is adjust the wire end to fit your boat exactly... the kit comes with a thimble and crimp collar so you put the shackle on after you have pulled the wire end back through the masthead block with the MESSENGER line you used to remove the old halyard.

Wire To Rope Halyards
1/8"- 7X19 stainless steel wire x 40'

3/8" Dacron Double Braid x 40'

Item #: 612192Manufacturer: U.S. RiggingModel #: H-440-1240 / DEF20Shipping Weight: 5.00 Lbs. Our Price: $107.99Status:
In Stock Quantity

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I switched all my wire to rope halyards to plain rope using amsteel... no streach and light.

However I can say that on my old Cal where the halyards cleated on the mast, the wire did not get near the cleats that were above the boom. You cannot cleat off the wire so whatever the length it has to not reach the cleat when the sail is fully hoisted.

If you are having questions, I would call a professional rigger...

Greg

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i think SBO carrys the wire to rope halyards you may check with them as well...i am replacing my haylards from wire to rope with all rope...just make sure your sheavs are in good shap and have no burs in the groves and that they are made to be either or wire or rope...

regards

woody

Apr 6, 2011
Cal 1-27 backyard
Thank you for all of your help. My measurements are P=27.75; I=34.5; J=12.0; E=10.25. (all in feet)

Would the above wire-to-rope halyard with 40 ft of wire ad 40 ft of rope work for both my main and my jib?

Thanks again for everything. Chris

P.S. I was under the assumption that I had a Cal 2-27, but it turn out my boat is a Cal 1-27. Sorry for any confusion. Thanks for showing me those sites.