Wire Jacketing Observations

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
"Liquid" Electrical Tape?

Regarding getting a corrosion resistant as possible crimp, as an alternative to heat shrinking the crimp (or in addition to), does anybody use "liquid electrical tape"? Here's a link as an example of the product.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Liquid_Tape_-_Electrical_Insulation

The liquid is viscous enough that I wouldn't think that it will wick too much between the strands of the wire, thereby shouldn't reduce the electrical conductivity at the crimp. Using a small brush, all the crimp area can be completely covered, while leaving the crimp fitting's attach point clean. Opinions?

regards,
rardi

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
I use this all of the time mostly to coat connections on power strips, etc. Although it is better than nothing, I do prefer to use heat shrink on the wire and connector. Chuck

Jan 12, 2010
macGregor 26C Austin
Interesting observation

I had a roll of old speaker wire with clear insulation that was on a shelf for about 12 years, and when I tried to use it, the wire was corroded just like the stuff you pictured throughout the whole roll. Not a bit was usable. I sort of suspect it was not water incursion but rather a chemical reaction with the clear plastic that caused both yours and mines corrosion. So don't wire your boat with cheap speaker wire.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
A follow up to my observation that the resistance of Tin is higher than copper..

I measured the ohms/foot of some 4 gauge pure Copper "welding wire" vs some 4 gauge UL approved Tin plated Copper marine wire.

The ohms per foot was nearly identical for each type of wire (both were about 2.58 E-4 ohms/ft). So at least for the samples I have, the Tin plated Copper wire would seem to have no DC electrical trade-offs - just as good as bare copper - but with much better corrosion resistance.

FYI, this is measured by putting a known fairly high current through the wire and then measuring the voltage developed across the wire over some length. Voltage measurement points are separate from where the current is injected into the wire.