Wire for random length 'long wire'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
I will be putting up a random length 'long wire' antenna (~ 50 feet+ length) for my ham radio, basically attaching the end (with suitable insulator) to an unused pin on masthead (intended for backstay, I presume). And I will use stranded wire.
Question:
1. Should I use insulted wire to help protect copper from salt environment?
2. Is it worth getting tinned copper wire? I ask this because of my concern that bare stranded copper wire will corrode. It seems that the strands, if corroded, will be 'insulated' from the other strands – potentially setting up mini rectification points when transmitting rf?
3. If insulated wire is used, which insulation will stand up to uv

I am probably over engineering this, but..
Thanks

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
I would think that the ecopper will eventually corrode and fail, and eventually the cover will break down as well . Why not use stainless steel? Works for the backstay antennas.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
Stainless, hmmm. I'll have to check that out.. Thanks for the idea. Also, thanks for the welcome to group

Mar 12, 2008
It is kind of like building a backstay for a boat that has no backstay. I've seen it done on a couple of Hunters. If you're using a tuner, then stainless will work.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Welcome Michael
Since your over engineering it AND it does not need to carry any live mast loads (could be an emergency backup though) Why not go with a multi-band dipole tuned (main band) to your favorite band?
As most of the bands are close harmonics of each other this is pretty easy.
Also you might try just clamping onto the mast base and grounding to the lightning ground to keel. I did this on a whim trying to get going and it seems to work fine. Only pushing 5 watts on a Yat 816 though so your mileage may vary

KJ4LYH

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Funny, I have been reading about running a "long wire" to the top of my mast from the stern. I ran into a couple of websites that state the long wire cannot be "any length" if you plan on working selective bands. Here are the two website I was reading.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/randomwireantennalengths.html
http://udel.edu/~mm/ham/randomWire/

From what I have been reading, the verdict seems to be that the following lengths will work for all band 40~10. (all lengths in feet)

35, 40, 55, 70, 85 (I rounded to 0 and 5)

I am wondering if I were to coil the wire around a 3/8" line up to the mast will I be able to double the length. But that is not important enough, I would be fine with just a wire up to the top of the mast from the stern.

Connecting the rig is a different story. Still not sure about how to ground the whole affair without getting too complicated. Was thinking of connecting to the toe rail as a counter poise.

Anyway, good topic and I will be following it closely.

And above all, welcome aboard.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
I got this response from Gordon West when I asked the question about wire:

Michael , ANCOR Wire company , sold in West Marine Stores , sells "GTO-15 " high voltage cable , specifically for marine SSB applications - UV outer coating protection , inner PVF insulation , stranded silver tinned copper wire , and flexible enough to run aloft . Get a rigger to thread it into light line , and hoist aloft as many with Hunters do !

So, I will be trying some of this wire.

Thanks to those who have responded..

73's
Michael - wb6nvt

Feb 17, 2006
Michael, what is "light line"? Is that the hollow braided poly rope?

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
Michael, what is "light line"? Is that the hollow braided poly rope?
Brian,
Not sure what specifically he was referring to, but anything light (such as what you mentioned) or even 3 strand stuff that you could loosely weave the wire into. Being #14 wire with the insulation, I plan on using the wire alone..

Michael

Feb 17, 2006
Michael,

I have been doing some more reading and found that he might be referring to light weight Life Line, like 1/16" (diameter equal to 14AWG). I have also read of guys putting wire inside braided rope. Not sure how they are doing that, but I am still researching. I like the ideal of 1/16" Life Line as an alternate antenna. Strong, light weight, insulated, and really designed for the environment. I am still doing more research.

Thanks for bringing the question to the board. I am getting more educated as I read, which is really dangerous. LOL :D

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
Brian,
Not sure what specifically he was referring to, but anything light (such as what you mentioned) or even 3 strand stuff that you could loosely weave the wire into. Being #14 wire with the insulation, I plan on using the wire alone..

Michael
Hey Michael, what did you end up rigging up ??

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
Hey Michael, what did you end up rigging up ??
I bought the [FONT=&quot]Ancor 150110 Marine Grade Electrical GTO15 High Voltage Cable. Not installed yet. The cable is the size of RG59 Coax (~1/4 inch thick). I attached an insulator on the end that will be attached to the unused pin at the mast head that is intended for a back-stay (none for Hunter..)

I'll post a picture of what I did..

Michael[/FONT]

Mar 12, 2008
We're waiting to hear you on the air. When you get it up and running, we can set something up on 40 meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.