winterizing ysm12

Oct 11, 2023
C@C 27 shediac
not able to start motor to winterize. Is there a way to drain raw water from yanmar ysm12 to keep block from freezing?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Yes, however, that won’t help winterize a water-lift muffler or some sections downstream of the water pump.

Is it not possible for you to run the engine from a bucket and hose?

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
not my model engine, but the 3GM series has two brass valves with clear hose on it to drain the exhaust manifold (or raw water side of the heat exchanger) and the block. Your model might be similar, be careful not to break them.

you will also need to drain your lift muffler and your sea strainer.

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Check the forums for winterizing your engine and boat. There has been volumes of how to helpful ideas over the years.

Here are two link’s that may help you with the tasks.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
not able to start motor to winterize. Is there a way to drain raw water from yanmar ysm12 to keep block from freezing?
Can't understand why you can't start the engine? Can you elaborate?

I used to winterize mine on the hard, I'd pull the hose from the through hull, drop it in a pan with antifreeze, run engine until enough antifreeze went through.

dj

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Maybe it won't start. You should be able to pump anti-freeze through the system with an external pump - drain everything you can first to make it easier.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Maybe it won't start. You should be able to pump anti-freeze through the system with an external pump - drain everything you can first to make it easier.
How would you make sure you don't pump antifreeze into a cylinder? With the engine running, the exhaust pushes everything the right way... Isn't that engine raw water cooled? No heat exchanger?

dj

Sep 25, 2008
Generally not a good idea. Suffice it to say engines aren’t designed to resist positive pressure of an external pump. If you want a further explanation, ask.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I think it could be done without risk of flooding the cylinders - just disconnect the hose that feeds into the exhaust mixer and use a hand pump to control the pressure.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I don't know that engine but if it's fresh water cooled, maybe try putting the raw water hose in a bucket of antifreeze, remove the impeller from the raw water pump, and replace the cover, then use a shop vac on the exhaust through-hull to draw the antifreeze through the cooling/exhaust system. Or remove hoses and vacuum one section at a time. I'm not too familiar with raw water cooled but I think you can remove the thermostat drain the block and try a shop vac on the system.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
This appears to be one of those -ask a question to which many take the time to respond- but the OP doesn’t bother to either read or acknowledge the effort.

Oct 11, 2023
C@C 27 shediac
Maybe it won't start. You should be able to pump anti-freeze through the system with an external pump - drain everything you can first to make it easie

Oct 11, 2023
C@C 27 shediac
motor is unable to start as it has been removed from engine bay and is resting in salon area. I was able to drain raw water strainer intake and should be able to either blow out or pour anti-freeze into exhaust muffler, just not sure how to drain block. my manual shows a drain cock on bottom of cylinder head but my engine does not appear to have that.

Oct 11, 2023
C@C 27 shediac
Check the forums for winterizing your engine and boat. There has been volumes of how to helpful ideas over the years.

Here are two link’s that may help you with the tasks.

thanks for the links to winterizing boat engines, was not aware that there was different types of R/V and marine anti-freeze