Winterizing question

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hayden Watson

I know about removing the hoses from the seacock (close it first!!) and putting it into a jug of antifreeze to winterize the system, but what about the seacock? Is there any way to protect the seacock and through-hull from freezing or is that not a problem? I think my first winter with boat a the water is making me jittery. Hayden Watson S/V Papillon '88 C30 Spokane, WA

M

Mike Silverthorne

In water is the KEY!!

For the past 3 years I have left my boat in the water over winter. I have two 3/4 hp bubblers and don't have a problem with the valves because they are still in water.. not ice, although it has frozen around the boat (-20 or so) for a day or so, but never had a really hard freeze so I'm feeling ok about it for now. I was worried also at first, so I know what you are goin through!! Mike WD9EOU C-38 s/v Chute the Breeze Michigan City, IN

M

Mark Johnson

Winterize your seacocks!

Of course after all your seacocks are closed, remove the hoses and pour antifreeze into the seacock. The antifreeze will displace the water and prevent the seacocks from freezing. Make sure you replace the hoses and clamps. MPJ

K

Keith

Freezing thru hulls

It is important to make sure the water is out above the thru hull and most important to get the water out from the inside of the valve. (inside the ball) Otherwise when it freezes, it will push the valve apart and when it melts, the boat will sink. I use the exhaust hose of a shop vac and put it over the hose to the valve, turn on the vac and when I hear bubbles commimg up from under the boat, I shut the valve knowing now it only has air in it. A little anti-freeze in the hose above the valve never hurts but you must get rid of the water in the valve. Some better made valves have drains built into them on the side to do that the easy way.

H

Hayden Watson

Thanks Keith

Thats the answer I was looking for! I know how important it is to get the water trapped in the valve out of my sprinkler system to prevent them from freezing. I faithfully blow out the system each fall. I should have thought of doing the same thing for my boat. Thanks again Hayden Watson

G

GK

Gravity

Understand fully your concern. I use a 5 gallon bucket filled with anti-freeze with a garden hose spiket connection fashioned onto it at the bottom of the bucket. Fill the bucket with anti-freeze and have a helper raise it high ontop of the cabin with a hose hooked to the seacock. Gravity will force the antifreeze thru the seacock. When the helper says there is significant movement and bubbles in the anti-freeze bucket, that means the anti-freeze is flowing thru the seacock, simply close the valve and that way there is anti-freeze locked into the seacock for the winter. The only problem with this is knowing the best place on each thru hull to connect to with the winterizing bucket. Good Luck!

M

Mike Silverthorne

Water side of valve?

Hayden,& group I'm sorry when I answered your question I made the assumption that valves were closed and either blown out or antifreeze added..with that being said there is the water side of the valve that is always full of water, no matter what is done to the closed side of the valve..right?? Doesn't anyone have a problem with the thur-hull fitting and nipple to the valve if there is one, or am I bubbling for nothing?? I hope I've been worried about nothing.. or is the thur-hull made to take it?? I'm just asking for advice, in case I've been doing it wrong and there is a better way to do it.. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.