Winterizing in North Carolina

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Washington, NC
I'd like to keep our boat in the slip between seasons if possible. Other than making sure my fuel lines are dry and my water tank/lines are dry, is there anything else I need to do? It will probably drop below freezing temperatures a few times but with very low risk of ice forming on the water, and maybe one or two snows a year.

Jeff

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Carlyle Lake in Central Illinois
I might suggest you also check the bilge. Part of my winterizing is running pink stuff thru the bilge pump. I’ve never drained the fuel lines as you mentioned. We actually top up all fuel to minimize the room for condensation in the fuel (diesel in my case) system.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Since you're asking this, you probably have a good barrier coat and bottom paint. Have you checked with the marina? We don't allow boats to stay in the slips over the winter. We are shallow. The docks I mean.
Make sure your cockpit drains are clear.

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Washington, NC
@Jeff have an outboard and run it dry every time we get back to the dock. Unless a leak suddenly shows up, the bilge has been dry since we launched in June

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I'd also check my house battery, and make sure it's in tip-top shape heading into the winter. Murphy's law is right there with death & taxes... I remember reading about a fine old restored chris craft cabin cruiser that was found sunk at the dock. A beaver was eating it.

Sep 25, 2019
CATALINA C27 Lk Norman NC
For what it's worth, I keep my Catalina 27 in the water year round, Lake Norman NC. I do empty the potable water tank, and pump dry the line to the sink ( and leave open for air and expansion allowance , Porta-potty, it comes home to keep from freezing) I have been known to go out and sail during winter months. That's why I live in the Carolina's.........we can do that :) . ( used to live in New England......can't do it up there) If your marina allows, why not???

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
I would make sure you have a battery conditioner on it with a solar cell to make sure the battery stays charged and healthy in case the bilge pump is needed