Winterizing bilge on my H37

Apr 24, 2020
Hunter Cheribini 37 South Portland
I seem to get a bit of leaking around my mast/ceiling area and some other places I can't seem to locate. The water ends in the bilge. Left unattended, this might build up over winter even under a shrink wrap and freeze. I rather have a dry bilge for the winter but am considering a gallon of antifreeze. Thoughts?

Jul 9, 2015
Catalina 34 Mk II Toronto
That's what I'd do. Depending on how much water you expect to get in the bilge over the winter, you might consider going with the green AF (-100C) - since as more water comes in, the AF will become more and more diluted (and more likely to freeze).

• Helpful
Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I installed a garboard drain and plug on my old H37C. It just makes sense for those of us that haul every winter. Just remember where you stow the plug so you don't have to search for it in the spring!

garboard plug.jpeg
garboard plug.jpeg

Apr 24, 2020
So...you drill a hole in the keel low down for this and leave it open?

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
So...you drill a hole in the keel low down for this and leave it open?
Yes. I installed it at the bottom, aft end of the keel sump. Took less than a 1/2 hour to measure, drill and bed it (in 3M 4200). Make sure to buy a good quality bronze fitting, use bronze screws and it will last a lifetime. Use a bit of teflon tape on the plug threads and it won't leak and will be easy to remove next fall. Wooden boats used these all the time, as freezing bilge water can spring the garboard planks. Makes sense on a fiberglass boat too, especially if you have a keel-stepped mast that you leave up in the winter. An added bonus is that it is easier to clean the bilge and to drain the water tanks.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020
Can I ask where does the water sneak through the mast? I can't figure it out.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Water may not be coming entirely from the mast. Inspected my as yet uncovered boat on the hard yesterday after a heavy rainstorm. Large puddle, about two pints, on the cabin sole just in front of the companionway ladder. That rain water aided by the wind from forward came in under the forward end of the companionway sliding hatch. That rain water opening has been troubling this boat for forty years. Presently I am replacing the cabin sole due to failure of the original plywood in that exact same area. Sometimes over the winter the boat yards have placed the boat on stands with the bow raised up slightly. That causes all rain falling on the deck ahead of the companionway sliding hatch to enter the boat by the described route and eventually fill the bilge. Waiting for the yard to shrink wrap which will end that problem for the winter. I believe most boats suffer from this problem.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Common problem with keel stepped masts. Jim is bang on with the garboard plug. Easy install. I also fill the opening with bronze wool as I have had little critters find shelter in my boat during the winter. They don't chew through the wool and it still allows drainage.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I installed a garboard drain and plug on my old H37C. It just makes sense for those of us that haul every winter. Just remember where you stow the plug so you don't have to search for it in the spring!

View attachment 199582View attachment 199582
ONLY IF IT IS TRULY BRONZE. Check it and see. And install with ONLY bronze fasteners.

Brass fittings have no role underwater (literally; they will disappear through corrosion).