Winterizing a M25xp

Jac123

Apr 19, 2019
Catalina 30 Forked River
I am preparing to winterize the raw water cooling system of my M25xp. I am going to disconnect the hose at the raw water thru hull seacock and run antifreeze (pink stuff) thru the engine until I see it blow out the exhaust, I have read that if you have an aqua-lift muffler you should drain it before and after running antifreeze thru. For those of you that winterize any advice is appreciated.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I am preparing to winterize the raw water cooling system of my M25xp. I am going to disconnect the hose at the raw water thru hull seacock and run antifreeze (pink stuff) thru the engine until I see it blow out the exhaust, I have read that if you have an aqua-lift muffler you should drain it before and after running antifreeze thru. For those of you that winterize any advice is appreciated.
Draining the muffler isn't a bad idea and is pretty quick. I did it probably half the time.

Did you read Mainesail's how to on testing the antifreeze coming out to make sure you have put through enough?

Also, it has been a couple of years but IIRC I used purple in the engine and pink in the freshwater system.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I don’t drain my water-lift muffler, but I do run enough pink stuff through that I am sure I have flushed most of the water out.

I haven’t drained my exhaust in 10 seasons in Chicago area. I was a little worried last year during our polar vortex, but engine, exhaust, head and everything else was intact this spring:beer:.

Greg

Nov 15, 2014
Catalina 30T 5830 Green Bay
I use a plunger head with a garden hose attachment. Connect length of garden hose to the connection on plunger head. Attach adjustable paint roller pole to plunger head. Position that under the raw water intake on the hull and extend pole to put pressure on the plunger head (bottom of pole is against the ground - if positioned well it will stay in place). Take other end of hose and duct tape a funnel to it. I then take that and duct tape it the one of the stanchions (then I can pour in the antifreeze without having to hold the hose). [I also take another pole or boat hook and duct tape it to the plunger pole - sometime the plunger will slip. The "auxiliary pole" allows the Admiral to keep the plunger head in place without risk of getting anti-freezed!]

I then fill the hose with antifreeze, start the engine, and continue to pour antifreeze into the funnel until the Admiral says it is really pink coming out the exhaust. Then I look over the stern just to confirm, and if concur, shut off the engine. This does work well. I do the reverse in the spring with water from boatyard hose before boat is put in water. This is to make sure the engine starts after the winter, and I prefer to blow the antifreeze on the ground rather than in the water. Because yard water is under pressure, the auxiliary pole is especially important, because getting the Admiral all wet is also a no-no (water will spray out the plunger edge)!!

See attachment. NOTE: I didn't have pic of boat on trailer from port side, where the raw water intake actually is located. Showing starboard side to illustrate concept. If I had read this post Friday, I would have taken "action" pics yesterday - because I did it yesterday!

Attachments