Winterizing a Catalina 30

Jan 12, 2013
Catalina C27 - Tall Rig Door County, Wis
longterm,
You need to have a drain opening on the muffler loop and yes it needs to be drained!

I am surprised none of the rocket scientist's mentioned your engine thermostat not opening and the antifreeze bypassing thru, that said yes you will have water drain down threw your block and if your mufflers freezing just think about the internal parts of your engine block! even if the engine is warm prior to adding the anti freeze the thermostat will re close once the cold coolant is added.

Gas / Diesel same thing
I am old school #1 open all the engine freeze plugs and drain the block a nd muffler drain and #2 open the water pump(s) at this time and replace impellers at this time and drain residue water. in closed systems check anti freeze levels.
Lastly if you like to keep stuff (anti freeze in your engine over the winter pull your thermostat prior to pumping anti freeze threw or crimp your by pass hose if so equipped.

And remember the if you buy the cheap -50 deg F bellow antifreeze at wallmarts good luck nothern boi's this year!
As we did not hit more than -17 deg F this year in Wisconsin and inspection in my palls boat just recently as to check on his covers was everything he used it in was frozen solid! sink water pump blown out, head pump split and drained!!!! and that was on a nice day! YOU need to always use the -100 pure oceans West Marine,no one reads the label on the - 50 cheap stuff as it freezes at 10-16 deg F ! and I did not put a - minus in there for one reason them numbers are above o!
I just can figure you spend big bucks on a boat you spend much more on service why be cheap or pinch pennies on winterizing antifreeze?