winterizing 2 stroke outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2009
Hunter 23 Waconia
This is our first year winterizing our boat, we've been reading lots of posts but still not sure on this: Do you need to run stabilizer through motor and fog the carburetor or can you get by with just fogging?
Thanks!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I put stabilizer in a SMALL quantity of fuel and run the entire amount out in the engine. As it is beginning to stall from the lack of fuel, I fog the carb. After it quits, I pull out the spark plug and spray some additional fog in the cylinder and turn it over slowly to distribute the fog oil on the cylinder walls.

I then wash the exterior with fresh water, grease any lube points, check the zinc and replace if required.

I drain the lower end oil and verify that it is not milky with water. Then I refill it with fresh oil. I pull out the starter rope and examine it's length for wear.

Finally I make a check list of what I have done so I don't forget.

I store the outboard in an up-right position (not lying down) for the winter. An outboard stored horizontally can allow a small amount of cooling water that may still be in the engine run back into the cylinders and damage the power head.

Raftco

Sep 23, 2009
Catalina 30 MKII, Fin Keel Harwich Port, MA
I would recomend doing exactly what Rich wrote. The stabilizer will help you in 2 ways: quicker starting in the Spring, and keeping any water from freezing in your system. Always a good idea to run stabilizer through any gas on any engine during the winter. I'm sure you can find a wealth of info by searching the forum. Good luck!

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
While your at it, don't forget a new impeller. Also you might as well replace the spark plug(s) when fogging the piston(s). New fuel filter would be good also.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.