Winterize without antifreeze?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Went to winterize my universal M 25XPB, wont start. Determine starter is bad so order replacement but it does not fit as mounting base is too wide. To save a delay and another trip I decided to drain the raw water side. Drained raw water side at heat exchanger, opened raw water pump, disconnected and drained hoses at pump and poured AF into lift muffler. Did I forget anything? What about the exhaust elbow?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Based upon my own experience with draining an Atomic 4 that was raw-water cooled, I would advise against this method. In my case the internal surfaces of the heat exchanger and engine block rusted and the rust flaking plugged the heat exchanger.
Your engine is much different.
At this point I would disconnect the hose to the exhaust elbow and pump 50/50 automotive antifreeze into the hose and through the heat exchanger until it comes out at the raw water pump. This will fill the heat exchanger with antifreeze that has anti-corrosion properties.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The exhaust elbow should not have any water in it, as it should all drain into the muffler.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Sounds good to me except for having just poured AF into the muffler. There was probably water in there before, so all you’ve done is dilute that. If what you poured in was concentrated EG that should be fine. If it was the usual pink PG having it diluted will provide minimal freeze protection. Looking for a drain on the muffler would be better.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
My muffler has a drain that works quite well - I don't do it but I feel confident I could winterize the engine by draining everything out, which I do before I suck in in the anti-freeze so I avoid diluting it.