Winterization and a starter problem FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
So I finally had time and good weather yesterday. I packed up my winterization stuff and was off to Boston. This being my third time, I pretty much have it down to a science and within a few minutes I had set up to flush the engine with non-toxic antifreeze/water. My 2QM15 doesn't like the cold, so I have a line rigged to the cockpit locker to allow me to open the compression release to spin the engine quicker in cold weather.

I tested the batteries, they were fine. I then turned the key and pushed the starting button to no avail. I have had this happen a few times before. The very first time was the morning we were moving the boat from Milford CT to Boston. It was no fun getting aboard to start a three day trip and having the engine fail to start! Anyway, it has happened a few times, it is a known Yanmar issue that can be fixed...I just haven't fixed it yet (you need to run thicker wires to the switches and add a capacitor, if I recall correctly).

So I went through my usual routine...I crawled into the cockpit locker to get at the wiring and jiggled them around...nothing...I removed the wires and cleaned the terminals and wire spades with a brass wire brush...nothing...I checked the wires on the starter...nothing. So I whacked the starter and solenoid with a wrench. Still nothing...tried again...ahhh...she finally started to crank...then the line I had tied to the compression release slipped off. This was the first year I thought to rig a more permanent line...but I really hadn't done anything more than tie a line haphazardly to the lever and then string it back to the locker and tie it to the exhaust hose bracket so I could reach down and pull it from the engine controls. So I took a moment to do a better job of securing the connection at the engine...actually looks like there is a loop on top of the engine to secure a manual choke type control, similar to the kill switch. Perhaps I'll fit one, but the kill switch cable is frozen as Yanmar didn't really design the part for a marine application...silly to expect that I guess!

Anyway, so back to starting the engine. I turned on the key and pressed the button and tried to start her again. After four revolutions with the compression released I let go of my rope and she chugged to life for a few seconds and then died...but the starter kept whirring madly...I turned the key off and it was still spinning so I jumped down to turn off the battery switch. I thought that I had perhaps gotten two ignition wires close enough to cause a problem so back into the cockpit locker I went. Nothing burned or fused, but I moved the wires a bit further apart just on principle. Tried the power again and the starter started spinning. Great I thought. Now I'll be down here tomorrow in the rain to change the starter so my engine doesn't freeze and crack this winter. Knowing something of the nature of starters...I figured the true problem was with the solenoid. So I whacked it with the wrench again. Good as new! Started the engine and flushed it out.

I finished putting my boom tent on and went home right on time. Stupid starter solenoid.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
So you were traveling with Murphy. Welcome to my club! Before I added the solenoid/relay to solve that problem on my 2QM20 I only tried once or twice. Then I simply crossed the solenoid posts with my big screwdriver and she started right away. Better to jump it before you deplete the starter battery. Once I added the "relay" it never failed to start first time, every time. Now the solenoid is in a box in the basement waiting to see if my new 3YM30 is ever going to have the problem.

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
I've had that starting problem. Push the button once or twice, nothing happens. Push third time, cranks fine. Might check the stater solenoid next spring.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The starter button is fairly new too. I'm glad I got it done though, as we got 2 inches of rain yesterday...it absolutely poured all day.

Mar 8, 2008
S2 30 9.2A Jax
Hi all --

The starting issue is not new on the yanmar and my 2gm20 had the same issue. Here is a good thread on the issue and the fix from the next to last post on the first page is spot on:

http://forums.torresen.com/sailing/viewtopic.php?t=767

My local yanmar mechanic has done this fix, according to him, "at least a hundred times." He suggested I use a 30 amp headlight relay ($9) and it works perfectly -- the clicks at start-up have ended. If anyone needs the wiring details, I'll be glad to help.

Rick

Scup

May 18, 2004
S2 27 Southern Lake Michigan
Photos of wiring fix?

Does anyone have "before and after" photos of the wiring harness and relay fix? I really don't know what I am looking at on the backside of the B-panel, or where the new relay goes, and pictures would really help.

Thanks.

Hi all --

The starting issue is not new on the yanmar and my 2gm20 had the same issue. Here is a good thread on the issue and the fix from the next to last post on the first page is spot on:

http://forums.torresen.com/sailing/viewtopic.php?t=767

My local yanmar mechanic has done this fix, according to him, "at least a hundred times." He suggested I use a 30 amp headlight relay ($9) and it works perfectly -- the clicks at start-up have ended. If anyone needs the wiring details, I'll be glad to help.

Rick

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Does anyone have "before and after" photos of the wiring harness and relay fix? I really don't know what I am looking at on the backside of the B-panel, or where the new relay goes, and pictures would really help.

Thanks.
first of all ...what type of panel do you have ......old type
new type
with tach
without tach
engine modle
i have the diagrams on disk.....and if you can read a drawing it will help....
also the info for this change/add on is on the sight mentioned above.....

regards

woody

Scup

May 18, 2004
S2 27 Southern Lake Michigan
B-Type Panel Diagram

B-panel with a tach
Yanmar 1GM10 engine

See photo and diagram below.

first of all ...what type of panel do you have ......old type
new type
with tach
without tach
engine modle
i have the diagrams on disk.....and if you can read a drawing it will help....
also the info for this change/add on is on the sight mentioned above.....

regards

woody

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.