Winter Wet Storage Prep

Oct 3, 2024
Caliber 33 New Bedford
I am going to be storing my Caliber 33 at Pope’s Island Marina in Mew. Redford this winter. I have never stored by boat in the water and there is a lot of information and opinions on the web. I will of course be winterizing it as usual, doing the water system, engine, bilge, closing thru hulls, removing sails, etc. The question I have is this, should I keep the shore power (all inclusive, set price) plugged in all winter and run some kind of anti freeze safe heater and dehumidifier? If so, brand and model recommendations?
Oh, I’m 2.5 hrs from the boat so can check periodically not weekly. Should I get it shrink wrapped or do people in NB harbor leave their boats in water without shrink?
As for dock lines, anyone familiar with the harbor, meaning, do I really need chafe lines and excessive amounts of fenders? Do I need to position it differently in the slip or secure it as I normally would during the summer?
Any other suggestions?

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
When I store my boat in the water over the winter, like you plan to, I winterize all the systems. I do not like to leave my boat plugged in to shore power. Just like at home, I unplug the toaster and my charging station for my tools, etc. I have seen pictures of the aftermath of marine electrical fires and it scares the crap out of me. So instead I put Damp Rid bags around the boat. That helps tremendously with moisture. I do not shrink wrap, however I use a tarp over the boom and secure it like a tent over the life lines. This helps when it snows to have the snow drop over the sides of the boat. I use a tarp long enough (from the mast) to extend over the whole cockpit and use the Bimini frame to create a tented area. This way, when I visit the boat every two to three weeks, I have shelter if its bad weather and the cockpit does not fill up with snow. Over the winter I am active doing small improvements and upgrades, so a dry (ish) area is a plus. As for dock lines, my marina is very sheltered, however I always double my lines, just for peace of mind. I change out my regular nice lines and use older, discolored lines, three strand, for my winter berthing. It's just what I do.
One thing to mention, with the tarp. I buy a heavy duty silver tarp and ad many more grommets. I also use bungee cords all around. This way when the wind blows hard, there is flexibility in the tarp.I wrap the one end around the mast and use a bungee cord without hooks to shoelace tie the ends together. I buy my bungee cord in bulk on a roll and make my own to size for each connection point and reuse the hooks. It works for me.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Tarps are best secured with lines from the edge grommets and lines over the top of the tarp. The lines over the tarp significantly reduce billowing and flapping which will cause a tarp to tear at the grommets.