Winter wet storage in Massachusetts North Shore

Jun 7, 2022
Goman Express Express 35 Gloucester
Hi all! I'm posing an open ended question and looking for all the pros and cons. I'm thinking of wet winter storing my boat in a protected harbor (Gloucester, MA) in a slip. What are all the possible cons and pros to off-season wet storing a sailboat in New England? I see a few boats around the harbor that are wet stored (and a few sailors enjoying a warm February sail), but the VAST majority of sailboats in my region go on the hard. I've mentioned doing this to a few sailors and they look at me like I'm crazy. Then others say it's no big deal to leave boats in the water (most of the lobster/small fishing boats in my area stay in all winter). Gloucester Harbor rarely freezes over.

NOTE: I WILL NOT BE LIVING ABOARD

Pros for me include: possible winter sailing, lower storage costs (current calculation is about $2,000 less expensive than being on the hard), extended season at the end and beginning of season, easy access for projects in the off season, I take the boat out late (December) and put it in early (by early May) all the work of getting the boat on the hard for 4.5 months on the hard seems wasteful.

Cons for me include: ensuring the engine is properly cared for so it doesn't freeze but I can still use it on occasion to motor to/from a day sail, covering the boat in a way so snow/ice doesn't build up (I won't use my regular fairclough cover because I want to use the boat occasionally), wear and tear of exposed canvas/sails (I assume I'd raise and lower my head sail each time I go out so it isn't exposed all winter, winter storms/nor-easters, any below the waterline work that needs to be done (non expected, except many new zincs in the spring).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Will you really be doing any sailing in the winter if the engine is ‘winterized’ and the boat is covered?

We sometimes left the boat in while living in New England with no problem but replacing the cover and winterizing after a sail is a pipe-dream. Too much work.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Years ago we alternated years between in and out of water storage in New Jersey. Keeping the boat in the water can certainly be done safely, but I agree with Don that taking the boat out is going to be so much work that it won’t happen much. Consider that even if you get a nice patch of weather it’ll probably only be really pleasant for an afternoon sail, which means you’ll still be doing things like uncovering the boat and bending on the headsail while it’s a cold morning. Then you’ll get back from your sail and need to winterize the engine again, cover the boat, and fold the headsail in the cold and dark.