winter weather

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
then i got flipped to the 'dark side', the snow belts of upper and lower michigan are some of the greatest snowmobiling on the globe

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
heavenly valley, ca. you can ski in the morning, sail all afternoon, and gamble in the evenings, then visit those ranches later on. so i've been told

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
plus jiminy peak
Yes! One of my favorites! It is one of the best south of Vermont. I've been meaning to make a point of getting there this year. Haven't been there for awhile. It's 3 hours from our house so it's in between a Vermont trip and a day trip.

Oct 26, 2008
US Ski Hall of Fame ... guess where? Ishpeming, Michigan. I'm sorry we didn't stop there on our trip through Michigan last summer! Jon, have you ever seen ski jumping at Pine Mountain? That is one crazy scene!

That guy's got some hat!

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
I would a never guessed that of you Jon.

-Will (Dragonfly)
with a 5' base and 18" of champagne powder on top the giant forests of michigan open up. you can leave the trails to the tourists and wander the deep woods endlessly. it's a hoot :)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I joined the cross country ski team having seen snow three times in my life. It was back country expedition travel that I wanted to do and learning on the ski team seemed the best way to do it. I never did get to do mountaineering skiing, but I won the school championship the next year. I'm also the reason cross country skis aren't allowed on the slopes of Cannon Mountain any more. That was my fourth concussion.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
That's dead on about Mid-western skiers. We would drive 24 hours West to ski the Colorado resorts rather than 12 hours East. I wouldn't call Rockies skiers posers, 'though. Maybe they don't suffer as much as NE skiers but they see plenty of vertical and in the wide open terrain tend to ski faster. If you skied NE as fast as you ski in the West you'd be a smear on a tree. Not to mention you don't have to sweat avalanches in NE.
Brodi Mt. and Jimny Peak. - I used to drive there from Albany and ski Friday nights. It was either $9 or $11.

Oct 26, 2008
"Birth of extreme skiing" That it was. I've not seen T.R. At this point, I doubt I ever will.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've not seen T.R.
Neither have I. I'm trying to hike the NH 48 4000 footers. Mt Washington is still on my list, so I expect I'll get to see it, but I'm not interested in skiing it. At least one person dies up there every year. One of the Earth's more active Darwinian filters.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We're bracing for the winter temps to come thru Kansas this weekend. The Chiefs/Patriots game at Arrowhead Stadium is supposed to begin with 20 degrees and by 4th quarter be 14 degrees :yikes:

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Neither have I. I'm trying to hike the NH 48 4000 footers. Mt Washington is still on my list, so I expect I'll get to see it, but I'm not interested in skiing it. At least one person dies up there every year. One of the Earth's more active Darwinian filters.

-Will (Dragonfly)
I did it when I was (much) younger. I still remember how glad we were to get to the little hut just below Lake of the Clouds. I think I could still do it now....I don't remember anything technical on the way up....just take me (much) longer...I had my first Golden Retriever with me....

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
On my phone so did not see all replies but that is Mt. Manfield from Spruce. Raced there a lot as a kid...