Winter Storm Malcom

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I was just watching TWC ( don't ask) and they're monitoring the storm in Boston. Their live shot is of the harbor and I noted quite a number of moored boats in the background. A lot of them are laboring in the Easterly 32 mph wind. I remember when I was in Boston 5 years ago in December and saw a pack of boats moored. Then and now I wonder how someone decides to leave their boat on a mooring in a New England city that is known for it's winter storms? And worse the harbor faces East! How many boats do they lose?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I suppose it is feasible IF you can moor your boat in an ice-free harbor OR you do not mind breaking ice to get to your boat. Some interesting posts related to this subject in this thread below:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't have my finger on the happenings in and around Boston any better than any other New Englander, any more than anyone else who doesn't live in the city, but I don't hear a lot about boats dragging or slipping their moorings in Boston.

Personally, if I had confidence in the mooring, I'd feel better on one than in a slip. I remember one storm we spent on the pier in Cedar Key. Our standard compliment of fenders were not enough to keep us off the structure.

Drenched, in foulies whipping around us, we scurried over the little town at one in the morning digging out old tires from behind local gas stations to race back and get them in place before serious damage could be done. It was an adventure that would have not been a concern were we out on a mooring.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I wonder how someone decides to leave their boat on a mooring in a New England city that is known for it's winter storms
I suspect the usual thoughts may fill the boat owners with hope.
  • It was fine on the mooring last summer
  • It costs so much to drag the boat out, up on the hard.
  • I was at the boat 3 days ago, all is looking fine.
  • It looks like it will be a mild winter the boat will be fine on the mooring
  • Look, Joe is leaving his boat on the mooring. He's a good sailor, so it must be ok...
The usual thoughts. Are they sound conservative judgement, only time and a lucky winter will tell. Some owners are lucky for several years, before Mother Nature decides to change the game.

Hope those owners on the mooring are good or at the least lucky.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
A few stay in the water year around here. Mostly it's due to lack of funds and or neglect. Amazingly, the moorings hold up to quite a bit. This storm was Nov 1. Only two boats remained in the water, the one with the shredded headsail and the bigger Hans Christian type. Both made it through the winter but both are valueless boats today(liabilities, actually).
October 30 gale+ shredded jib.jpg

A lobsterboat or two always stay in. The storms slowly wear the mooring gear down (shackles, hawsers, etc).

This 'one' stays in every year. A couple seasons ago it became a problem for the owner. The ice began pulling the caulking out of the seams. She'd take on water and the auto bilge pump would keep up, until the battery died. Then he would have to get out to it.

There was no one to assist them if the men fell through the ice away from the wharf. So they dragged the dinghy out with them and swapped out a charged battery.

All in a days work,...
LaBoat dinghy on ice.jpg

Come spring though, some part of the mooring let go. He moved it to an inner dock....

Then the docks bull rail (where you tie off) let go from the dock. He's a fisherman, not a dock builder.

The boat (and his dock) floated across the bay and fetched up on an island.

Laboat large.jpg

'She's' out in the harbor on a mooring right now.

'She' is the third fishing boat this guy has owned since I've lived here. Insurance? Ha.

He's a nice guy and I have a lot of respect for him, it's tough work. He's tough on boats but he's very kind to his dog.

LaBoat 2 Dog.jpg

(this was his first or second boat, I've lost track).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have always felt that the Lobster Boat fleet is considerably more hardy than one of our fiberglass sailboats. Perhaps that is feeling over fact.

They sure do survive in extremely harsh conditions that would frighten the average sailor out of his britches.

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
Boston Harbor, particularly the mooring fields around the North End, is relatively well protected from the prevailing Winter winds. The further into the harbor you go, the better it gets. Lot's of liveaboards year round. It's likely the boats you're seeing on TV are tucked into the waterfront of the Financial District or North End. While the cityscape can do some fun things with wind tunnels, it still provides an element of protection from the W/NW. SE winds are most problematic, but not a common direction for Winter storms. This isn't to say the winds don't pick up during a good Nor'easter, as they certainly do, but loss of vessels isn't common to my knowledge. It's a nice area to Frostbite and there are a few clubs that sail relatively deep into the season.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
  • 01:17:23 I just got a mayday on a Gloucester swordboat, the Andrea Gail.
  • 01:17:30 Jesus. That's straight into hell.
  • 01:17:33 Gloucester. They're always from Gloucester.
:laugh:

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Was it last year or the year before that a newbie to SBO posted that he'd just acquired a Hunter 40 with plans to live aboard in Boston. He was seeking advise on ways to heat and possibly insulate the boat. Never saw any more posts. Always thought it interesting that someone would undertake the process of live-a-board during the winter on a boat totally new to them.....

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Was it last year or the year before that a newbie to SBO posted that he'd just acquired a Hunter 40 with plans to live aboard in Boston. He was seeking advise on ways to heat and possibly insulate the boat. Never saw any more posts. Always thought it interesting that someone would undertake the process of live-a-board during the winter on a boat totally new to them.....
Let’s face it, many of us got into sailing to pursue a dream.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
In season there's a ramp to a floating dock off the stairs. You have to go up so it can clear the rip-rap. It's visible on Google Earth. It's probably there so the Harbormaster can hang out, or the USCG can get to the light without having to walk a mile down the breakwater. It's a nice walk, but not if you're carrying a toolbox. I like the guy in Tom's first shot who's planning to go for a sail and has his jib out already. People who leave their R/F sails up all year must like buying new ones.