Winter sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim

I have a Cat-22, here in Brooklyn. I spent most of my summer working on a tall ship with little time for my own boat. I'd like to sail as long as possible - should I be worried about the outboard being damaged if I leave it out say until mid-December, or even all winter? Is the only alternative to bring it with me each time (no dock storage facilities available, so I'd have to haul it back and forth in my little car). Any particular models stand up better than others (I'd get a new one if it would make a difference). thanks in advance for your responses. - Tim

B

Bob Finley

Outboard motor

The only thing that you have to worry about is getting the water out of the water pump and impeller housing. By standing it up vertically out of water, it should all drain out. If you ran the motor with it standing up for only a few seconds, it should all get out. The salt water where you are isn't going to freeze too quickly anyway.

C

Chris Athanitis

Not a problem bud!

Tim, I am originally from Brooklyn, NY(Bay Ridge)and was up there this weekend! I always wanted to bring my catalina 22 up there when visiting my folks but I don't have a trailer. Where do you keep your boat? Don't worry about the cold weather. I have had my boat out for a couple of winter seasons. As long as all the water drains out when you lift the motor out your fine. My biggest problem was the ice that formed around my boat that normally kept me from going anywhere. Have fun sailing!

Status
Not open for further replies.