Winter Sailing

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
New take of those that are determined!

Winter sailing.jpg

Don't look too close...it is photoshopped.

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
My son came up for a visit and we wanted to get him out on the boat.

We arrived at the marina and it was 19f out, so we hung out for a couple hours to see if the sun was going to break through and get the temp up to the predicted 50f. At noon we made it all the way up to 20f..... yup, we left without a sail. Pretty sure that was the right call that day.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
My son came up for a visit and we wanted to get him out on the boat.

We arrived at the marina and it was 19f out, so we hung out for a couple hours to see if the sun was going to break through and get the temp up to the predicted 50f. At noon we made it all the way up to 20f..... yup, we left without a sail. Pretty sure that was the right call that day.
Really depends on how you are dressed, and your ability to stay warm and dry. We often sail with air temps in the low 20s.... its fun and safe as long as you stay warm. Get wet and or cold, and suddenly its dangerous.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Ditto here. Really wanted to get out on the water, but a head and chest bug really put a damper on my enthusiasm. Instead spent a few days on the boat, but in the slip. Sour weather made things very unpleasant.

Belle-Vie6.JPG

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I’d like to get 50 hrs on my new engine and get past the initial oil change before spring...Then I dont have to worry about changing it somewhere this summer..

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
clothing was not the issue. It was just a bit cold and foggy, had the sun broke out we would have went. With it being his first time sailing I'd rather have it be a bit nicer for him.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We try to go out once a month over the winter. Wind was an impediment in December more than temps. Now the creeks are icing up so we may not be able to get out before warmer weather. But if we do go it's a lot of fun and starkly beautiful. The cold air is so dry there is not haze and the viability is hard to believe. The water is also very clean and we'll be looking at bottom features we glide over with oblivion in the summer. Sun angles, sea ducks, I'll miss it if we can't go this year.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
There you go Jackdaw, you don't even have to put Blue J back in the water. Anybody organise some races?

Nov 8, 2010
clothing was not the issue. It was just a bit cold and foggy, had the sun broke out we would have went. With it being his first time sailing I'd rather have it be a bit nicer for him.
That makes it worse!!!

But I totally get wanting someone to simply be willing to try it again. Later on, there will opportunities to take them out when its snowing.

Nov 8, 2010
There you go Jackdaw, you don't even have to put Blue J back in the water. Anybody organise some races?
I think you can bribe cops in Russia to let you do that. Maybe in Wayzata too.

Jan 5, 2017
I think you can bribe cops in Russia to let you do that
Might be easier to get a parade permit from city hall! I've watched ice boats sail and when I was (much) younger we made a 3-wheeled beach boat using an International 14 mainsail.
Lots of fun!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
when I was (much) younger
I get the idea that your youthfulness allowed your sense for adventure to to exceed your fear of what might go wrong with a 3 wheeled beach boat.
So share...
How did it go? How fast? Was the crash spectacular?

Jan 5, 2017
Hi John
Went pretty good! Probably not as fast as we thought at the time, but it felt like a rocket. No big crashes to talk about. Built out of aluminium pipe ( Alcan was worried we where making hang gliders and almost didn't sell us the pipe) and air filled wheel-barrow wheels.
Cruised the beaches at White Rock and Crescent Beach.