Winter sailing

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Anyone else out braving the winter weather to go for a quick sail?

We took then kids out for an hour yesterday. The girlfriend and I went out for a bit this evening as well.

A friend snapped a pic of us coming back in yesterday

Aug 10, 2020

We took then kids out for an hour yesterday. The girlfriend and I went out for a bit this evening as well.

Attachments

Aug 10, 2020

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Our sailing season is from Oct to March. Almost every sailboat in our marina was out Sunday. Oh, and we were wearing t-shirt and shorts.:cool:

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I have always though that ice boat sailing looked like a blast but wonder how often you get a lake to freeze smooth without any snow covering it?

Sep 8, 2020
Merit 22 Honker Bay
It' unusual here for winter temps to not reach the 50's during the day. But the problem with winter sailing is lack of wind. I sail some. But mostly bob.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I have always though that ice boat sailing looked like a blast but wonder how often you get a lake to freeze smooth without any snow covering it?
You have to be willing to travel to the where the conditions are right - it's part of the sport.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I went out solo yesterday for a 4 hour sail. Great weather (63 degrees), sunny and 8 to 10 kt wind from the West Southwest. Het between 6 to 7 1/2 kts again on a beam reach or slightly forward of that. Had the side curtains up and it was quite pleasant.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
WYC_Current.jpg

It's a bit difficult to sail right now. The ice fisherman are enjoying the 30 degree weather though. Ice boats had some good conditions in December as we had little or no snow but below freezing temps. Been sailing on the lake in November with a temp of 31 and about 10kts of breeze. That's what I call chilly.... ;)

Dec 20, 2020
Prindle 16' Corrotoman River, VA
I took my boat out Tuesday. We had a fairly warm day. Now there is snow though.
IMG_2321.JPG

Probably wouldn't have went out except for the boat's been out of the water for years and we were anxious to see if it really floated :)

Aug 10, 2020
Pulled out the little boat. Everyone is emptied out and covered up for the upcoming cold snap. It doesn't look like we will be above freezing for a week or so. Snow flurries are flying today and by the news, we should have a couple inches by dark.

Attachments