Winter sailing (Or Summer if you're below the equator)

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Is anyone sailing these days? We haven't been out in way too long. Pictures please.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Ken, just got back from a week on the water. A bit chilly out there. Sorry, no pictures to share, but spent a couple of days in Eagle Harbor then over to Friday Harbor for a couple of days only to find that Haley's was closed to indoor dining; takeout only. Had a nice visit with Tom Burgess, a cruising buddy, while in FH.

Got a bit of sail time in. Furnace on most all the time to keep the boat warm. Weather reasonable. Pretty quiet with few boats. Only two boats in Eagle Harbor and none at Pelican Beach and Cypress Head.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Been very close to a year since the sails have been up. A pretty tough and unpleasant year, though mind you, I'm not complaining. We've got it better than most.

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
Yup, have been sailing almost every day since the beginning of November on Charlotte Harbor. Even have a couple of videos, if only I could figure out how to link them on my tablet. But right now...I'm going sailing.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It has been too long since I was on the boat. November 2019. February is the limit of my tolerance. I am headed to the boat the 1st or 2nd week of February for a few days of boat work and or short cruise. I have a PT visit to complete this week to see what to do about a shoulder impingement. It has bene too long without some good foresail tacking me thinks.

@Ken Cross if your up to it maybe something might be planned. Even a couple of crewed day sail swaps might be possible. Sitting here in the rain everything is on the table.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Hi Ken, just got back from a week on the water. A bit chilly out there. Sorry, no pictures to share, but spent a couple of days in Eagle Harbor then over to Friday Harbor for a couple of days only to find that Haley's was closed to indoor dining; takeout only. Had a nice visit with Tom Burgess, a cruising buddy, while in FH.

Got a bit of sail time in. Furnace on most all the time to keep the boat warm. Weather reasonable. Pretty quiet with few boats. Only two boats in Eagle Harbor and none at Pelican Beach and Cypress Head.
Finally made it to your neck of the woods this weekend. Unfortunately it was by car. I taught a class in Skagit on Saturday. My wife and I made it a weekend out of it staying on LaConner and did a drive today to Langley today then headed home.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Mike, a nice time of the year to be out and about, albeit a bit chilly. Did you catch the ferry to Mukilteo or did you Keystone over to the peninsula, then down to Tacoma? Either way a nice drive. We've always enjoyed visiting Langley. Similar to Coupeville. Quaint and friendly.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Only know Langley by boat and marina visiting. They are great folk. Climb the hill and you have a beautiful community of friendly people. Tasty food offerings, the occasional parade. A sweet library and a varied line of stories: from the calling of the whales, to the rum running of the 20’s.

A spot to often missed by cruisers.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
My boat went into winter storage in September 2019! I bought a different house in January 2020, then Covid came onto the scene. A remodel that was supposed to be done in May 2020 didn’t get finished until the end of October. Sold my old house in October, and moved. Got Diane’s stuff out of storage. Sorted through two households worth of said stuff and kept some and sold the rest for about a dime on the dollar. Still have to finish setting up my workshop and get a car hoist installed in my garage. I haven’t even seen the inside of my boat. Oh, and when I get back up North, there is interior work to be completed up there! Other than that, the year was uneventful. With luck, I will be able to complete the usual spring recommissioning and launch by the middle of May. Other than that, the year has been uneventful, I just don’t know where it went...
I’m happy for you folks that can actually get out on your boats. I can’t wait to get to work on mine and get back to sailing.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Hi Mike, a nice time of the year to be out and about, albeit a bit chilly. Did you catch the ferry to Mukilteo or did you Keystone over to the peninsula, then down to Tacoma? Either way a nice drive. We've always enjoyed visiting Langley. Similar to Coupeville. Quaint and friendly.
No ferry. Drove the long way there and back. Langley was the first place I ever anchored overnight.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
It has been too long since I was on the boat. November 2019. February is the limit of my tolerance. I am headed to the boat the 1st or 2nd week of February for a few days of boat work and or short cruise. I have a PT visit to complete this week to see what to do about a shoulder impingement. It has bene too long without some good foresail tacking me thinks.

@Ken Cross if your up to it maybe something might be planned. Even a couple of crewed day sail swaps might be possible. Sitting here in the rain everything is on the table.
I hear ya my friend. I went down there to clean The other day and couldn't even get all of the green to scrub off. I'm going to have to bring a pressure washer down. I think I'll wait till the most of the winter is over to do that however. a little time on the water with the sails up sounds like a good idea though. I'd have to put my jib back on.

Ken

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Predicted temps of 76 degrees here so if all goes well, I'll be out for a short sail tomorrow. Have been able to get on the water for at least one day for the last two weeks. Looking to make it three in a row!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Yes, that is ice.

Then there was this 6-hour test of a sailing dry suit (was in Good Old Boat Magazine).

My last sail (a few days ago) was 30F with 20-30 knot winds. Tore a mainsail, damn it. I dress something like this:

Maybe it doesn't look "sailory," but it is all-Goretex, easier to move than foul weather gear with insulation, and very warm. I can't even feel 32F cold, except a bit on the tip of my nose.