winter sailboat cover for Cal 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2013
Cal 2-27 Chicago
I will be making a sailboat cover for our Cal 2-27. I am wondering if anyone else has done this and if they have a template I could copy? It will be a mast up/boom cover. I am attempting the template myself, but would deeply appreciate any help. I am willing to pay for a template. Advise would be welcome from others who have done the same. Our boat winters outdoors in Chicago right by the lake! Thanks, Carol

Feb 22, 2009
Cal 30 Muskegon, MI
Carol: I don't know if you found anything yet, but you might check with www.sailrite.com for either a PDF document or a DVD on ;measuring and making a winter cover.

I have a mast-down canvas cover for my Cal 30 and, let me assure you, a custom cover for your boat makes setting up for winter storage super easy. I had thought about making a mast up for my boat, but found that pulling the stick was pretry easy and using it as a ridgepole made it easy for me to cover the boat, by myself, in less than an hour.

If I were you, I'd consider popping for the $29.95 for this: http://www.sailrite.com/Make-Your-Own-Winter-Boat-Cover-DVD I've used Sailrite DVD's myself in the past and find that they are very thorough and an excellent source of reference. I'm just getting started in a part-time canvas business and can use these tools very effectively.

Good luck.

Greg Murphy
capnm@mascom.com
S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30

Nov 8, 2013
Cal 2-27 Chicago
great resource

Carol: I don't know if you found anything yet, but you might check with www.sailrite.com for either a PDF document or a DVD on ;measuring and making a winter cover.

I have a mast-down canvas cover for my Cal 30 and, let me assure you, a custom cover for your boat makes setting up for winter storage super easy. I had thought about making a mast up for my boat, but found that pulling the stick was pretry easy and using it as a ridgepole made it easy for me to cover the boat, by myself, in less than an hour.

If I were you, I'd consider popping for the $29.95 for this: http://www.sailrite.com/Make-Your-Own-Winter-Boat-Cover-DVD I've used Sailrite DVD's myself in the past and find that they are very thorough and an excellent source of reference. I'm just getting started in a part-time canvas business and can use these tools very effectively.

Good luck.

Greg Murphy
capnm@mascom.com
S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Hi Greg,

Would love to have a Cal 30! Really appreciate your reply. Sailrite has a terrific website for boat sewing projects and supplies.

Just today I found a very experienced seamstress, who happens to live/work around the corner from me, with the right kind of sewing machine and she said she would make the cover for me. We're going to the boat tomorrow for her to do her own measurements. I already cut a muslin for the pattern, but it's been too windy by the lake to get an accurate pattern. So, hopefully the weather will cooperate and she will still want to do the job once I get her on the boat.(She's only charging me $200. and that's after seeing pics of North Shore's sailcovers!) I will show her the Sailrite video demo and see if she wants me to order it.

Not sure where you buy your supplies, but I bought my Aqua Gun cover fabric (rated almost as tough as Top Gun) from Rochford in Wisconsin. It was on closeout for $7.00/yd. and I got it from them within 3 days. They have an extensive catalog.

RE: your canvas business. If you'd be interested, there must be a big untapped market here in the Chicago area for sailboat covers. I know Fairclough comes out here from the East and custom measures boats for covers. Plus, I couldn't find a regional manufacturer when I was looking. Not sure if that would be of interest to you, but you could advertise in the local yacht club newsletters.

Thanks and all the best,
Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.