Winter Sail Plans

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Just returned from my Christmas Cruise around the Islands. Nice weather through this past Monday, but all weather hell broke loose Monday night and continued during my return back home yesterday. Got no sleep Monday night, and rather than lose more sleep, per the forecast, decided to head for home. Nasty sea and wind conditions on my return would be an understatement. Using the lee side of islands helped some, but my anemometer reads low and I saw several 40 plus wind speeds (50 gusts were forecasted). Sea state was very, very lumpy. Made it back safe and sound yesterday afternoon and a very restful sleep last night. Even caught a wind break as I came into our slip without banging up our neighbor's boat. Would I do it again, of course.
You were way more adventurous than our plans for New Year's. The original intention was to take the boat from Lake Union to Blake Island and meet up with friends. The building winds on New Years Eve, as well as the rain, kept us on the dock but looking forward to the fireworks from the Space Needle. Wouldn't you know they were canceled due to high winds?!! :yikes: First time in almost 30 years. So nothing too far afield planned until whale watching off Langley in March.