Winter projects

• Thread starter Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

The New Year has come and gone. January is just about half over and we had another 6 inches of snow last night but my mind (what is left of it) is starting to think of projects for Angels' Grace. What projects will you do over the winter or will you just chill and start in the Spring?

D

Dragonfly

Bow rain cover and wind scoop

Charlie, We plan to work on these projects. Last year we made a rain cover that allows the front hatches to be open for ventilation during a rain storm. However, we used a cheap canvas from the local fabric shop. We like the design, but it absorbs water and is difficult to dry. We plan to replace it with a lighter material. We are thinking about Sunbrella. Any suggestions on a better option? We also plan to make a wind scoop. We have the material, just need to find time. We better hurry, sailing season is about 60 days away! http://home.att.net/~dragonflyb331/ http://home.att.net/~beneteau331owners/ Mark

B

bill

winter sucks

I removed and rebuilt the raw water pump on my Perkins engine. Currently building a cockpit table and once the weather warms a little, I plan to replace the sanitation hoses. Having all bimini canvas replaced in April and had the cockpit cushions recovered last month.

C

Sunbrella

is a good idea especially since you can get it match the bimini you have on Dragonfly. it is durable and will hold up for a long time. I know, for myself, doing projects like that are a great source of enjoyment and satisfaction. I know that I have put so many improvements on the boats that I hve owned over the years that when I sell them I'm not sure I have gotten my money back - but who cares I was happy. My project this year is to build a cabinet I want to put in the salon for wine bottles and glasses. I will be doing it out of solid oak for the rails and dividers and oak veneer plywood for the doors. I bought some stain from Beneteau so that I can match the joinery Mark, good luck with your project and when you are finished put some pictues on the site so we can get an idea of what you have done Thanks for the input Charlie

C

Sounds

like a really busy winter Bill. I'm sure you'll be looking forward to Spring

D

Dragonfly

Hi Bill. Where in Kansas?

We sail on Mark Twain Lake NE of Columbia. What material did you use to cover your cushions? That's another project we're considering. Also looking at new cushions from Bottomsiders or Custom Cushions. We plan to look at them at Strictly Sail Chicago in early February. Mark

B

Bill

Lake Perry

Mark, I'm at Lake Perry. That's about half way between KU and Topeka. Actually I had the cushions recovered, didn't do it myself. Used white vinyl just like what was on them originally. It lasted eight years and cost me less than half what new cushions from bottom siders or Custom Cushions quoted. Only works if the foam is in good condition. Think I'll wait until the Miami show to go fantasizing. I can't get excited about Chicago in February.

D

Dragonfly

My daughter graduated from KU

Bill, We drove up to Lake Perry a couple of times while Amy was at KU but never stopped. Where did you buy our cushions? We like the looks and feel of the Bottom Sider/CCushions, but would like a less expensive option. Online price was about $725 for either product. I'm not sure they would last 8 years! Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.