Winter Humidity in a Lake Erie boat

Sep 27, 2021
O'Day 34 Huron
Hi All, I'm a long time sailor, first year owner of a 40 Hunter, now in a cradle at Lake Erie. I have winterized all of the fluid systems, removed the batteries, and covered the cockpit. My question is about the cushions and mattresses I left in the boat. Should have I removed them ( it's not too late ), or not. I thought the winter air was dry, and that no moisture would be in the cabin until Spring. Any thoughts or past experiences you've had would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Next year, save your back. If fully charged batteries are better left on the boat. The colder they are the less self discharge will occur. When spring comes, charge them the first opportunity you have.

Now for the question. There was a time I took cushions home, when I had a small boat with 4 or 5 cushions. Now I leave them on the boat with no apparent ill effects. Just make sure that air can circulate around them by standing them on end or propping them up. Likewise allow air access to storage areas.

We leave all the seacocks open, especially sink drains. This helps air circulate through the boat and ensures that the attached hoses all drain.

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
I always bring the cushions home. This year my wife tried out her new steam cleaner on them. They looked and smelled much better .
Batteries will be fine on the boat if you disconnect them, don't want any leak currents.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Talked to the guy who is our local canvas maker, cushion maker etc. many years ago. His advice - prop them up so air can circulate around them and leave them on the boat. We have a custom winter cover (same person
also made that) and it’s well ventilated. Cushions are 12 years old now and never an issue.

As others have said, we also leave the batteries on the boat. Marina used to pull them but decided they are too heavy and there is too much potential to bang or bump something causing damage to the boats. Now run a cord down from the boat, we leave the charger in the on position and once every month or two they plug it in to kick the charger on.

Others we know charge them up, disconnect the cables and just leave them for the winter

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
In the 17 years I owned my boat I always left the cushions on board. I simply set them on edge so that air could circulate around them. There was never a humidity issue. The boat stored outdoors, covered every year.
As for the batteries, I fully charged them and left them in the boat completely disconnected. I had no access to power for a battery charger over the winter anyway.

With the boat on its cradle, there was no way that I was going to attempt hoisting them in and out every year and risking a 10 foot drop to the ground.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
My practice is similar to others here. I took my cushions home the first year. I never did that again- way too much work. I prop them up so air can circulate and also open all cabinets and drawers. I went to the local dollar store and bought 7 plastic buckets and collendars ($14) to fit on top. I put these throughout the boat and put a generous scoop of pure (not a blend) calcium chloride (ice melt formula) in each collendar. Moisture is absorbed by the calcium chloride and drips into the buckets. In the Spring I just empty the buckets and wash out the collendars. I get a total of about 2 gallons of liquid each year. Be sure to vacuum out the bilges so that any water in them does not over-whelm the buckets.

I used to take the batteries home but I no longer do so. I fully charge them and physically disconnect one of the terminals. I wipe the tops of the batteries dry to be sure there is no trace of electrolyte on the surface that could carry a charge leak across the terminals.

I have just completed 24 years of storage with no issues.

2000_0325_203230AA.jpg2000_0325_203238AA.jpg2000_0325_203252AA.jpg

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
My practice is similar to others here. I took my cushions home the first year. I never did that again- way too much work. I prop them up so air can circulate and also open all cabinets and drawers. I went to the local dollar store and bought 7 plastic buckets and collendars ($14) to fit on top. I put these throughout the boat and put a generous scoop of pure (not a blend) calcium chloride (ice melt formula) in each collendar. Moisture is absorbed by the calcium chloride and drips into the buckets. In the Spring I just empty the buckets and wash out the collendars. I get a total of about 2 gallons of liquid each year. Be sure to vacuum out the bilges so that any water in them does not over-whelm the buckets.

I used to take the batteries home but I no longer do so. I fully charge them and physically disconnect one of the terminals. I wipe the tops of the batteries dry to be sure there is no trace of electrolyte on the surface that could carry a charge leak across the terminals.

View attachment 200655View attachment 200656View attachment 200657

Now there's an idea I like. There even colour coordinated :)

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron

Thats incredible battery life....... 24 years I will have to start doing that as well :biggrin:

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I went to the local dollar store and bought 7 plastic buckets and collendars ($14) to fit on top. I put these throughout the boat and put a generous scoop of pure (not a blend) calcium chloride (ice melt formula) in each collendar. Moisture is absorbed by the calcium chloride and drips into the buckets. In the Spring I just empty the buckets and wash out the collendars. I get a total of about 2 gallons of liquid each year. Be sure to vacuum out the bilges so that any water in them does not over-whelm the buckets.
I do something similar. I use pairs of 5 gal buckets. I drill a grid of holes in the bottom of one and nest it in the other bucket. Then I put 3 lbs or so of calcium chloride in the drilled bucket. I find a bunch of water in it in the spring. I put 2 sets of buckets in our 35' boat. I also open up all the cabinets, lockers, and covers on bilge, tanks and engine, and prop all the cushions up so air can circulate around.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
My boat is on a cradle and shrink wrapped near Lake Michigan and my winter storage practices are similar to most of the others, with a few twists that work for me.

I stand all my cushions on edge in the v-berth and keep them separated for air circulation by putting the pfd’s over the top edges of the cushions like saddles. This frees up the main saloon to function a bit like a workshop in the spring with tools, supplies, shop vac, etc. out on the bare sitees and readily accessed. Batteries stay in place, fully charged and completely disconnected.

Condensation is the enemy. Natural air circulation and humidity reduction are critical. I leave all the seacocks open, to drain and for air flow through the sink drains, and I open the head port lite an inch or so after the shrink wrap goes on. I use about eight Damp-Rid buckets in the cabin and find that they take a lot of moisture out of the air in the autumn and spring months when temps and humidity fluctuate, but not much during the cold winter months when the air is dry. I also empty the contents of all lockers and leave the doors open, propped if necessary, to facilitate air flow. Foul weather gear comes out of the hanging locker and hangs on the overhead hand rails.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
When storing outdoors I use damp rid buckets. There's an article in Practical Sailor comparing the different desiccant dehumidifiers

Dollar tree sells mini versions but the chemicals inside are very corrosive to steel. I accidentally spilled one in my car

Jul 29, 2006
-Catalina -2000 36' Pepin, WI
Buy a bag of charcoal - not the quick lighting type, place in a 5 gallon pail or reusable shopping bag, cut open the top and place in the middle of cabin, doors open to bow and after cabins. Does great wonders to absorb storage odors and moisture. In spring you can either burn the charcoal in the grill or re seal in garbage bag and re use next winter. (I’ve done this 15 years and it works).

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I am able to leave my boat plugged in for most of the fall. I run a 40 watt dehumidifier 4 hours a day with the drainage hose run into the galley sink. In the cold months when the air is dry I only plug the boat in for a day or two at a time per month primarily to charge the batteries which I leave on board. Come mid April the boat once again stays plugged in. I just paid 3k to have my cushions redone, so I bring them home.