Winter Head Operation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
I'm a die hard and I sail whenever the water is soft enough. I don't live aboard and I don't run heat while away, so I do have to winterize to some extent (mid-Chesapeake Bay, lows to ~ 20F). I posted this question ~ 1 year ago but received no useful response.

How do you operate the head in the winter? Starting last season, I used the following approach, with no difficulty:

Winterize the inlet side of the head and through-hull (and lube) in the conventional manner, and close for the season. Lube head pump. Flush bowl to the holding tank all winter with very weak (~ 15-20%) EG (no mammals will drink it and the sewage treatment plant can process EG easier that PG pink AF), leaving the head pump in the "empty bowl" position. We simply leave a jug labeled "for flushing only" in the head.

I posted a bit on my blog on winter sailing (including this topic) for your interest (http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/search?q=winter+sailing). Enjoy... and take a warm hat.

(Refinery wastewater treatment plant design and operation is part of my engineering practice.)

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Similar to how I mostly use my head, flush from a jug of water. No reason that jug should not be diluted with anti-freeze. As you state, the inlet side stays winterized. The head and the holding tank remain winterized. Depending upon the temp of the bay water you probably do not need to worry.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
As long as the water remains liquid...

You don't have to do anything...'cuz if the water isn't hard, it ain't froze...and if it ain't froze, neither is anything on the boat, 'cuz the hull and everything in it takes its temperature from the water the boat is sitting in...so nothing in the boat can freeze till after the water does.

So if it were my boat (in fact, this is the approach I always used on my own boats without any problems ever)...I'd keep a sharp eye on the weather forecast. If the Bay is predicted to freeze over hard for several days or longer, beat feet for the boat and winterize the systems. But there's no need to worry about an overnight freeze even into the low 20s or even teens as long as the water doesn't freeze.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
95% of the time your reasoning is completely sound. A boat in the water does not freeze inside.

You don't have to do anything...'cuz if the water isn't hard, it ain't froze...and if it ain't froze, neither is anything on the boat, 'cuz the hull and everything in it takes its temperature from the water the boat is sitting in...so nothing in the boat can freeze till after the water does.

So if it were my boat (in fact, this is the approach I always used on my own boats without any problems ever)...I'd keep a sharp eye on the weather forecast. If the Bay is predicted to freeze over hard for several days or longer, beat feet for the boat and winterize the systems. But there's no need to worry about an overnight freeze even into the low 20s or even teens as long as the water doesn't freeze.
95% of the time, I find no frozen water bottles. But sometimes, not every winter, I do. Generally this part of the Bay (harbors only, generally) gets only a light coat of ice for a few weeks, but sometimes you can walk on it. As for beating feet, I travel a great deal on business, and though I do check on the boat often, there are surprises.

I believe just 75 miles further south, perhaps in Deltaville, I would do nothing.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You don't need surprises

And I'm a firm believer that it's hard to go wrong erring on side of caution. The plan you've been using is fine...you can't go wrong sticking with it.

Jan 22, 2009
Hunter 31 '83_'87 Blue Water Marina
so have you winterized yet?

been having the discussion with guys at the marina for a year now.

no one wants to take the chance.

me, i'm still hoping to get out.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
I can't tell where you are, (edit - you are near Annapolis)

so have you winterized yet?

been having the discussion with guys at the marina for a year now.

no one wants to take the chance.

me, i'm still hoping to get out.
There was some thin ice in the harbor (Deale), but not an issue. A nice day.

If I had an inboard, I would have some heat for the engine.

Dec 29, 2009
allmand ticonderoga Cambridge MD
Maybe if you are just day sailing a Porta Pot would be better than flushing into the holding tank regardless of whether there is antifreeze in the flush jug. I think you'd be better off without involving the plumbing at all especially if you're going to leave the holding tank with some "love" in it.
If you do decide to use the ship's service, maybe you should look into a heated seat.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
Explainations would help. Your "vote" seems arbitrary.

Maybe if you are just day sailing a Porta Pot would be better than flushing into the holding tank regardless of whether there is antifreeze in the flush jug. I think you'd be better off without involving the plumbing at all especially if you're going to leave the holding tank with some "love" in it.
If you do decide to use the ship's service, maybe you should look into a heated seat.
I've sailed with a port-a-head for 15 years on my last boat. No.

I'm not so tender I need a warm seat.:) But I have a vented cabin heater a few feet away, so it is a minor issue.

BTW, the local marina keeps the pump-out operating year-round, so the "love" does not have to wait so very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.